Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service Engineering Equipment Operator in Yuma, Arizona
You too can make a difference in our world. The work of the US Fish and Wildlife Service is meaningful and varied. Want to know more about what it is like to work for us?
Click here to watch a short podcast called Meet Your New Boss! and Diversity is our Strength!
RELOCATION EXPENSES: Relocation expenses will be authorized consistent with the Federal Travel Regulations and Departmental policy. The use of a relocation service company will not be offered.
This is a permanent full-time position located at the Imperial National Wildlife Refuge in Yuma, Arizona.
If you are a current or former federal employee with reinstatement eligibility, you must submit a copy of your last Notification of Personnel Action (SF50) showing your position, title, series, grade and eligibility.
All application materials and supporting documentation must be received by the closing date of this announcement (including Veterans Preference Documentation).
The major duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- Operates a variety of gasoline or diesel powered engineering and construction equipment with wheeled or crawler type traction and attachments
- Conducts disking, chopping, moving, rotovating, digging, loading and leveling to exact specifications
- Operates crawler tractor or motor grader to excavate, backfill, grade, or level earth to rough specifications
- Operates crawler tractor or motor grader in grading surfaces, compacting soils, and/or spreading surfacing materials on flat or rolling terrain to exact specifications
- Keeps written maintenance records for all equipment operated
- Operates farm tractors with auxiliary equipment for moving, farming, maintaining dikes, and other related activities
- Services, checks, and fuels equipment before operation and checks and services attachments to be used
- Occasional Travel
- Relocation expenses will be authorized consistent with Federal Travel Regulations and Departmental policy. The use of a relocation service company will not be offered.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Open to all current career or career-conditional federal employees, former federal employees with reinstatement eligibility, and persons eligible under Special Hiring Authorities. Veterans who are preference eligible or who have been separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 or more years of continuous active service may apply.
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Background Investigation
- Possess and Maintain a Valid State Driver's License
- Obtain and Maintain Valid Class A Commercial Driver's License
- Wear U.S. Fish and Wildlife Uniform According to Policy
- Physical Examination
- Drug and Alcohol Testing
- One Year Probationary Period if not yet Completed
By the closing date of this announcement*,* you must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Handbook X118C, Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupation.
Although no specific amount of experience, education or training is required, applicants must meet a minimum level of ability in relation to the position and the Assessment Questionnaire in order to be rated qualified for consideration. To be qualified candidates must meet any screen out element(s) listed at an acceptable level, and must achieve an average rating of at least acceptable on all of the elements. Only education, training, or experience acquired before the closing date will be considered.
To preview the Assessment Questionnaire, click the following link: View Occupational Questionnaire
Physical Demands: Very strenuous effort is required in the operation and frequent adjustment of large pieces of equipment and attachments, often under adverse operating conditions. Considerable strain is caused by the constant vibration of the equipment and the jolting received from operation of the equipment over rough surfaces. Location of the controls and attachments frequently requires work in awkward or strained positions.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in extreme summer heat, all types of weather conditions often in an open driver's seat. Due to operations of large and complicated equipment, often in rough terrain, the operator is exposed to injury resulting from equipment overturning, and is subject to heat, noise, vibration, dust, and fumes from machinery. Caution must be exercised to avoid injury from moving machinery and breaking cables, and other difficult circumstances.
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified of the status of your application. If further evaluation or interviews are required you will be contacted.
View Occupational Questionnaire
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. To find out more click here:
1. If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" *plus the proof required by that form. *For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx
2. If you have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) you may apply for special selection over other candidates for this position. To be well-qualified for the position and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 90 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Federal employees seeking CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit proof that they meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330.605(a) for CTAP and 5 CFR 330.704 for ICTAP. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent Performance Rating and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible. For more information on CTAP/ICTAP see http://www.opm.gov/rif/employeeguides/careertransition.asp#ctap
3. Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service
(see www.sss.gov ).
4. You can apply for a non-competitive appointment if you meet the basic eligibility requirements and you are eligible for special appointment such as those authorized for the severely disabled; certain Vietnam era and disabled veterans; returned volunteers from the Peace Corps or Vista, etc. Please indicate the type of special appointment you are seeking, if any, on your application and follow all other instructions for applying shown in this announcement. http://www.opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp.
5. Additional vacancies may be filled using this announcement.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476497400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-10 to 2017-08-23
Salary: $24.16 to $28.19 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 10
Series: 5716 Engineering Equipment Operating
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: R2-17-1994029-LLP-MP
Control number: 476497400