Army Tank-Automotive and Armament Command (TACOM) Boiler Plant Operator Helper / Worker in Watervliet, New York
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
The Watervliet Arsenal is an Army-owned and -operated manufacturing center located in New York. It is the oldest, continuously active arsenal in the United States having begun operations in 1813. Today it is relied upon by U.S. and foreign militaries to produce the most advanced, high-powered weaponry for cannon, howitzer, and mortar systems. The Arsenal is the only location in the DoD that has a weapons research facility (Benét Laboratories) collocated with a manufacturing facility (Arsenal).
Who May Apply:U.S. Citizens
Performs duties on a rotating shift involving the operation and maintenance of numerous high and low pressure gas or oil fired steam boilers and auxiliary equipment. Operate dampers, forced draft fans, heat exchangers, pumps, fuel pressure regulators, fuel strainers, relief values, water softeners and other similar equipment. Perform a variety of standard chemical tests on boiler feed water. Make periodic visual and physical checks of all equipment. Perform routine preventive maintenance and minor operational repairs to boilers and auxiliary systems. Perform a variety of extensive maintenance and up keep duties in and around the assigned facilities requiring significant manual skill. Utilize safety practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations to maintain a safe and clean work environment. Operate motor vehicles with a gross weight of up to 26,000 lbs.
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
SCREEN OUT ELEMENT FOR WG-05: Your resume must indicate your ability to perform the work of a Boiler Plant Operator Helper (Laborer), WG-05, without more than normal supervision as outlined in the duties of the position which includes the ability to: (1) assist in the basic operation of single or multiple fuel power boiler in a steam or high temperature hot water boiler plant; (2) assist with operational maintenance on boilers and/or equipment, such as clean burners, oil and grease moving parts, pack valves or pumps and clean oil strainers; and (3) perform maintenance and upkeep duties around buildings and/or facilities.
SCREEN OUT ELEMENT FOR WG-08: Your resume must indicate your ability to perform the work of a Boiler Plant Worker, WG-08, without more than normal supervision as outlined in the duties of the position which includes the ability to: (1) operate single and/or multiple fuel power boilers in a steam or high temperature hot water boiler plant; (2) apply knowledge on steam pressure and/or water temperature to regulate auxiliary equipment; (3) ensure the steam or hot water being produced meets or exceeds demands; (4) apply knowledge of basic operations necessary in start-up, shutdown, and restart procedures and in reacting to correct abnormal operation; and (5) use of hand tools, electric and pneumatic power tools.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the work of an Boiler Plant Worker.
To meet the basic eligibility, you must receive at least two points on the screen-out element indicated above and must have an average of two points on all the job elements listed below. Your application will be further evaluated to determine if you meet the best qualified cut-off for referral to the selecting official.
JOB ELEMENTS**: You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency with the following elements:
(1) Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, Etc.
(2) Operation of Boiler Plant & Various Maintenance Equipment
(3) Technical Practices (Theoretical, Precise, Artistic)
(4) Use of Measurement Equipment
(5) Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (Other than Blueprint Reading)
(6) Dexterity and Safety
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Frequently works in confined areas in and around boilers and support equipment; i.e., auxiliary and pollution control equipment. Work requires moderate physical effort and long periods of walking, standing, climbing, bending, and crouching. Frequently lifts and carries boiler parts and chemical supplies weighing up to 40 pounds unassisted and occasionally items weighing over 40 pounds with assistance of other workers or weight handling equipment.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Employee normally works indoors. Occasionally works outside for short periods. When working outside is subject to prevailing weather conditions and works on catwalks and ladders. Employee is subject to high temperatures, constant noise, rotating machinery, soot, dirt, grease, chemicals, oil, and fumes in the work area. Subject to cuts and abrasions from use of tools and equipment and burns from acids, caustics, hot water, steam, and contact with pipes and boilers. When performing laborer duties works inside and outside. When outside, is frequently exposed to all kinds of weather and temperature extremes, drafts, noise, dust and dirt. Is exposed to the possibility of bruises, muscle strains, cuts, and scrapes.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- A Pre-appointment and annual medical examinations are required.
- Personnel security investigation is required.
- May require overtime.
- May require shift work and/or work on rotating shifts to provide coverage on evenings, weekends, holidays and in other situations.
- Salary includes locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Payment of Permanent Change of station costs (PCS) is not authorized.
- Required to work rotating shifts during heating season (Oct-May) and work a compressed-day shift during the non-heat season (May-Oct)
- Required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Must possess and maintain a valid New York State driver's license.
- Employee may be called back to work during non-duty hours (including weekends) to support emergency situations or make emergency repairs.
- This position involves duties which are subject to Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) regulations regarding hazardous wastes.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474533200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-07-26
Salary: $18.37 to $26.66 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 05 - 08
Series: 5402 Boiler Plant Operating
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: NEAJ171647481986901D
Control number: 474533200