Government Publishing Office PPW (Motor Vehicle Operator) in Washington, District Of Columbia
Come be a part of one of the largest digital information facilities in the world!
Make Your Mark on the reinvention of a major government enterprise. The U.S. Government Publishing Office (GPO) is Keeping America Informed by providing excellent publishing and information dissemination services for official and authentic government publications to Congress, Federal agencies, Judiciary and Federal Depository Libraries and the American public. Established by Congress in 1861, GPO was founded on values of integrity, teamwork, commitment, and dependability. Be a part of history as we continue this tradition through new technologies and strategic initiatives.
This position is located in the Official Journals of Government, Congressional Publishing Services, Washington, DC.
Selectee will work Shift 1 and have a Tour of Duty of 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The primary purpose of this position is to perform as a PPW (Motor Vehicle Operator), driving delivery vehicles and loading and unloading materials in and out of those delivery vehicles.
WHO MAY APPLY: Current and Former Federal Employees and Veterans. (Please see the merit promotion eligiblity section under the "Qualifications tab")
- Load, unload and drive gasoline-powered delivery vehicles capable of loads weighing up to and including 2 tons (manufacturer's rated capacity).
- Deliver door-to-door service and/or pick up a variety of printed materials, proofs and special items between the Government Printing Office (GPO), Congress, and all Federal agencies throughout the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- Retrieve work from internal customers and at specific locations within GPO.
- Sort printed materials, proofs, and other special items for both Congressional and Federal agency runs.
- Verify and correct address labels if necessary.
- Track packages either by delivery receipts or scanners.
- Retrieve signatures using scanners from recipients of packages delivered.
- Complete Driver's Pre-Inspection Vehicle Checklist (GPO Form 4040) and the Vehicle Manifest (GPO Form 732) on a daily basis in accordance with the office regulations.
- Maintain courteous relationships with internal and external customers.
- Communicate with a diverse group of customers.
- Perform operator maintenance and daily inspections, such as checking fuel, oil, water, battery liquid, lights, horn, windshield wipers and fluid.
- Ensure that the vehicles are properly serviced and equipped in accordance with established office rules and regulations.
- Make minor emergency repairs to vehicles when necessary.
- Maintain both interior and exterior of vehicles in addition to sweeping the truck as necessary.
- Occasionally drive other sizes and type of vehicles for which qualified and licensed as required by the workload.
- Maintain a valid state and GPO issued driver's license at all times.
- Assist in the training of new drivers.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Selectees must pass a drug test prior to appointment.
- Selectees must pass a background ckeck prior to appointment.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized.
To qualify for this position, you must meet the following requirements:
Ability to do the work of a PPW (Motor Vehicle Operator) without more than normal supervision. (SCREEN OUT). This includes driving delivery vehicles, and handling weights and loads in order to lift and move delivery items, and maintain delivery or other records. Applicants must have experience and/or training of a sufficient scope and quality to independently perform the duties typically required of this position.
Note 1:*Incumbent is required to operate government-owned or leased motor vehicles, in the performance of duties; therefore, a valid state driver's license is required.*Applicants must submit a copy of their valid driver's license issued by a U.S. city or state to be considered for this position. The selectee must maintain a valid city or state driver's license in order to continue in this position.
Note 2: Incumbent must not have any driving violations against his/her driving record within the seven-year period immediately preceding submission of application.
Note 3: The selectee for this position is required to work outside and is occasionally exposed to bad weather while loading and unloading delivery vehicles. Additionally, the selectee of this position will drive in various traffic conditions and is exposed to the possibility of accidents and injury.
TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must meet time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement Wednesday, August 23, 2017.
Merit Promotion Eligibility:
This position is open to Merit Promotion eligibles only (also known as status candidates). * You must meet the requirements for one of the following categories to apply to this announcement: *
- a) A current permanent competitive service employee; b) former Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or c) former Federal employee who served on a career conditional appointment without achieving career status in the competitive service who was separated less than three years ago. *You must submit your most recent Annual performance Appraisal and SF-50 to be considered. *GPO Employees may obtain a copy of their SF-50 and Annual Performance Appraisal from their eOPF or Human Capital Operations, Room A-638 or C-604.
- A Veteran applying under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): You must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing your dates and character of service in order to be considered. To be eligible for a VEOA appointment, a veteran must be honorably separated and either a preference eligible or have substantially completed 3 or more years of active service. ("Active service" under this law means active duty in a uniformed service and includes full-time training duty, annual training duty, full-time National Guard duty, and attendance, while in the active service, at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary concerned.) A veteran who is released under honorable conditions shortly before completing a 3-year tour is also eligible.
- A 30% or more Disabled Veteran: You must submit your DD-214 that shows dates and character of service, a completed SF-15 "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference", and letter from the VA dated 1991 or later in order to be considered.
- A severely physically handicapped Schedule A appointment: Please submit a certification from a State or District of Columbia rehabilitation counselor indicating that you can perform the duties of this position and are eligible for an excepted appointment based on a physical or mental disability.
- A former Peace Corps or VISTA Volunteers appointment: Please submit documentation indicating your volunteer service in order to be considered.
What To Expect Next
After a review of your resume, required documents and assessment questionnaire is complete, you will be notified of your application status. If further evaluation or interviews are required you will be contacted. Applicants will receive notification when a final selection has been made.
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. We offer a broad array of benefits programs and family friendly flexibilities to meet your needs, as well as your family's needs. These benefits include, but are not limited to: health care, life insurance, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, annual and sick leave, long-term care insurance, retirement savings plans. For more information about these benefits, please visit: http://www.usajobs.gov/EI/benefits.asp#icc.
- Application procedures are specific to this vacancy announcement. Please read all the instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in your not being considered for this position.
- To be eligible for Federal employment, male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must certify at the time of appointment that they have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under Selective Service law.
- Supplementary vacancies may be filled in addition to the number stated in this announcement.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476655500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-10 to 2017-08-23
Salary: $24.05 to $25.94 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: KX 05
Series: 5703 Motor Vehicle Operating
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: 17-1998298-JW
Control number: 476655500