International Rescue Committee Deputy Director for Operations in Libya
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The humanitarian situation in Libya has deteriorated since the 2014 civil war. 1.3 million people require assistance, including an estimated 700,000 IDPs and 1 million refugees and migrants. In response, the IRC launched an emergency program in September 2016 in Libya which aimed to provide life-saving medical care, medicines, and medical supplies to Libyans and non-Libyans and in doing so strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Health. At present, the IRC is conducting health and protection activities in Misrata, and planning to expand to Sirte and Tripoli.
Reporting to the Country Director (CD) and serving as a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Deputy Country Director, Operations (DDO) provides representation with authorities, leadership, direction and coordination of all field operations inside Libya and Program Support functions. These include Finance, Supply Chain, Human Resources, Admin and IT. Moreover, a significant part of the DDO responsibility is the oversight of sound field management practices to reduce risk and ensure compliance with donor and IRC policies. The successful DDO will possess senior level experience in managing or coordinating humanitarian operations in areas affected by conflict, instability and insecurity. S/he will also possess experience negotiating in difficult market conditions. S/he will have an outstanding ability to multi-task, prioritize, solve problems, and pay simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision. S/he will also have proven experience with cross-cultural teams, with strong leadership and mentoring skills.
- Contribute to organizational strategic planning, and overall coordination efforts;
- Provides strategic direction of Operations and ensure high level representation with authorities for IRC inside Libya;
- Ensure Libya operations are in full compliance with IRC and donor rules and regulations;
- Effective day-to-day management of program support functions;
- Roll out system building for the Libya operation and train staff;
- Ensure partnership building on operational issues;
- Enable durable programming and operational resilience.
Overall Management & Leadership
- Serve as an active member of the Senior Management Team
- Ensure representation for IRC inside Libya with officials and other partners
- Participate in strategic planning and direction setting for IRC in Libya
- Work closely with the Country Director and other members of the SMT to ensure that a strong partnership is developed and maintained between Security, Operations, Programs, Finance and HR teams at both the Country and Field levels
- Lead the development and revision of program support and operational policies, procedures and systems
Support functions (Finance, Supply Chain, HR, Admin and IT):
- Oversee support functions and supervise the roving Support Managers;
- Ensure that the Support teams provide efficient support to the programs and do so in accordance with IRC and donors policies and procedures;
- Verify that policies and procedures are documented, disseminated and consistently applied across the country program;
- Ensure system building in line with IRC procedures and compliant with donor rules and regulations;
- Contribute to the operating budget and strategic planning;
- Work with appropriate units to ensure timely and appropriate follow-up to allegations or violations of IRC's Code of Conduct;
- Oversee consistent application of appropriate data management and data security principles and procedures across all field office sites.
Field Management & Control
- Oversee field operations and supervise the Field Coordinators in Misrata and Tripoli.
- In partnership with the FCs, ensure program implementation and spending are on track.
- Together with the DDP, organize regular program review meetings and raise any red flags to the SMT.
- In partnership with the Security and Access Coordinator, ensure that field offices adhere to the security SoPs and country security management plans.
- Lead cross-departmental risk identification and mitigation actions that align with organizational and regional risk-management initiatives.
Staff Performance Management and Development
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Offer leadership support for successful adherence by staff to IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to:Country Director Position directly supervises: Field Coordinators, Supply Chain Manager, Sr. HR Manager, Finance Manager, Liaison Officer.
Internal:Deputy Director for Programs (DDP), Security and Access Coordinator, Finance Controller, Regional and HQ Support Departments
External:Libya counterparts, Government bodies, community stakeholders
- University degree or technical qualification in a related field. Master Degree or other advanced degrees a plus
- 5 years progressive management experience in a field management role (Field Coordinator or equivalent of an Area Manager) with at least 3 years of senior-level management responsibilities of similar size and complexity. Previous experience with managing large teams.
- Previous substantial experience with managing a medium size field operation, with oversight of over both support and program functions.
- Strong background in risk management and contingency planning, with work experience in unstable security environments strongly preferred.
- Some experience with the following fields: Project Management, Human Resources, Finance, Supply Chain, Administration, IT.
- English fluency required; Arabic is an asset
Travel: The position is based in Tripoli, Libya with frequent travel to Misrata office and Tunis.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time