Vectrus USACE IT Operations Center Technician in Vicksburg, Mississippi
Under general direction, provides professional communication between the US Army Corps of Engineers’ Enterprise Data Centers and all Corps of Engineers customers.Monitors network services and devices, including routers, switches, firewalls, and intrusion prevention systems. Monitors network file servers, databases, storage systems, and websites, taking action on alarms per standard operating procedures.Performs 1stlevel network troubleshooting for WAN/LAN connections and network devices.Assists with the diagnosis of all Enterprise-level hardware, server, and application trouble.Provides an entry point for the transfer of customer technical issues from the Enterprise Service Desk (ESD) to the Enterprise Data Centers.Determines which issues reported by the ESD are due to Enterprise-level issues, and assists as needed with trouble ticket assignment to local technicians.Monitors facilities in multiple buildings for audible alarms and any unusual conditions including monitoring Data Center temperature and humidity levels, and reporting of issues per standard operating procedures.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES: Please list by order of priority and, if possible, provide the percentage of time spent on the activity all should equal 100%.
- Monitoring the US Army Corps of Engineers’ network infrastructure, servers, databases, applications, and websites, opening trouble tickets for alarms from these systems and assigning them to the appropriate Data Center team for investigation and resolution.
- Monitoring for outages on the data circuits used by the Corps, and working with the data circuit providers to ensure timely resolution.
- Performing basic remote troubleshooting and interacting with customers to investigate issues affecting network routers, switches, gateways, firewalls, cabling, and telco CSU/DSUs.
- Providing Tier 2 support to customers by processing incoming trouble tickets from the Enterprise Service Desk, and by processing emails from customers delivered to a shared team email inbox.This includes calling the customer to gather information about reported issues, contacting the customer to answer questions, and by escalating to specialized Data Center teams as needed.
- Communicating regular updates to customers discussing the status of site-specific service interruptions and outages.
- Fully documenting reported issues in the Remedy trouble ticket system, including customer contact information,symptom descriptions, troubleshooting steps taken, dates and times of each development in the case, plans for additional steps to be taken, and issue resolution.Includes sending emailed updates for each new development to the impacted customers.
- Publicizing the occurrence of large scale outages to customers across the Corps, including providing regular status updates, and publishing root-cause statements, via email and online.
- Create and post online daily SITREP reports for management showing all on-going unplanned outages and upcoming scheduled maintenance.
- Representing ACE-IT, the Army Corps of Engineers’ IT organization, in a professional manner, meeting/exceeding customer expectations for responsiveness, competence, friendliness and integrity.
- Handling multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously, and shifting priorities in accordance with changing customer requirements.
- Ensuring that documents are prepared in accordance with contract and company standards, including completeness,legibility, professionalism, and using correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Performing other duties and assignments as required.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Computer, telephone, printer, photocopier, scanner, and fax machine
Office environment, with periodic walk-throughs and visual inspections of computer rooms and related facilities.
Some work environments may be darkened slightly for more comfortable viewing of computer displays.
Must be able to lift/push/pull up to 25 pounds.
Must be able to sit for extended periods of time, in an office setting, during shifts of from 8 to 10 hours, as well as periodically
walk to separate computer rooms in local and neighboring buildings to perform visual inspections.
Must be able to work flexible schedules as needed.
Education/Certifications: One year related experience may be substituted for one year of education, if degree is required.
High School diploma.Associate or Bachelors Degree preferred.Security Certificate desirable.
Demonstrated experience providing professional-level customer service, or professional experience supporting personal computers and/or PC hardware or software. Experience working successfully in a technical support call center preferred.
A general understanding of LAN/WAN networking concepts and hardware
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Ability to work in a team oriented environment
Ability to work shift work, including nights, weekends, and holidays
Ability to type with accuracy at a minimum of 35WPM
Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance
Experience working with MS Office Suite preferred.
Some experience with Microsoft Office products or comparable applications required
Ability and willingness to communicate well, both verbally and in written form, with customers and coworkers at all levels.
Choose an item.
General Guidance & Direction
Broad Guidance & Direction
When working during evening, night, weekend, and/or holidays, successful candidate must be able to be fully productive with minimal supervision.
Title: USACE IT Operations Center Technician
Requisition ID: ACE000711
Clearance Level required at Start Date: Secret
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace that values and supports the contributions of each individual. This commitment along with our common Vision and Values of Integrity, Respect, and Responsibility, allows us to leverage differences, encourage innovation and expand our success in the global marketplace. Vectrus is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability. EOE/Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran.