U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Engineering Equipment Operator in Vicksburg, Mississippi
Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE or "The Corps") is one of the best in America! In 2015, USACE ranked #128 out of 500 employers on Forbes' "America's Best Employers" list. From this list, the Corps ranked #10 in the government services industry, #6 in the federal government, and #8 in the engineering field. Follow this link for more information about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is an innovative, transformative organization providing engineering solutions to customers worldwide. Working at the Corps as a civilian employee means making a direct contribution to war fighters and their families; supporting overseas contingency operations; developing technology and systems that save the lives of soldiers and civilians; providing disaster relief; and protecting and enhancing the environment and the national economy.
About the Position: As an Engineering Equipment Operator assigned to the Maintenance Section, River Operations Branch, Operations Division, you will perform a variety of heavy and light construction equipment and vehicle operation, skilled and semi-skilled trades and crafts and other miscellaneous assignments in support of the mission.
About the Organization:
The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers' Vicksburg District is one of 41 Army Corps districts worldwide and one of six districts in the Corps' Mississippi Valley Division (MVD). The Vicksburg District provides quality engineering and other professional products and services to develop and manage the Nation's water resources needs in an economically and environmentally sustainable manner. We provide a full range of water resource products and services, including flood control, water supply, navigation, emergency operations, environmental restoration, hydropower and water quality, etc. Our coverage spans 68,000 square miles in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Our goal is to be the Engineer of Choice for the 21st Century and we are lookingfor the "Best of the Best" to join our team. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at http://www.mvk.usace.army.mil.
NOTE: The position is being advertised to Internal Applicants under Vacancy Announcement # SWGR171959871992267.
NOTE: This position is a full time, Temporary Appointment Not to Exceed 1 Year and maybe extended up to 2 years.
NOTE: Must currently possess a valid state's Driver's License and a copy must be submitted with your application, failure to submit this license will result in a ineligible rating, and you will receive no further consideration.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
As an Engineering Equipment Operator, you will:
- Drive up to a 40 ton dump truck and 65 ton tractor trailer between the maintenance yard and work sites and for hauling materials as need.
- Operate a variety of heavy equipment which includes but not limited to Bulldozers, Mobile Cranes, End Loaders, Fork Lifts, Scrapers, Articulating Dump Trucks, Age tractors, Soil stabilizers, water trucks, Low boy trucks or trailers.
- Perform daily preventive maintenance servicing, testing, adjusting and making minor repairs when necessary.
- Assist in flood fighting duties by filling, carrying and placing sandbags on levees or floodwalls.
- Perform numerous semi-skilled trades and crafts work as part of normal maintenance of recreational facilities, office and shop buildings.
- Make carpentry repairs, paint a variety of surfaces, and performs masonry work as well as accomplish routine maintenance repairs to electrical fixtures and small equipment.
- Perform general cleanup of the recreation and public use areas and facilities.
- Perform laboring duties concerning the maintenance of recreation facilities, forest management and flood control structures.
- 50% or Greater
- Business Travel is Required 50% of the Time.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Moving expenses (PCS) are not authorized.
- 50% business travel required; up to 11 or more nights away per month.
- Must possess a valid state's Drivers License.
- This is a drug testing position.
- Selectee must successfully complete and pass a pre-employment physical.
- Personnel Security Investigation is required.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For this position, the job element method is used to match what you can do against what the work calls for. Your knowledge, skills and abilities will be compared to the knowledge, skills and abilities needed for success. Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element. Your experience will be evaluated through responses obtained from the occupational questionnaire and your resume. Your resume must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. In addition, your responses to the occupational questionnaire must be supported by your resume.
Those applicants that meet the screen out element will be considered for further evaluation; potential eligible are then rated against the remainder of the questions.
SCREENOUT - Ability to do the work of a Engineering Equipment Operator without more than normal supervision which is described as: Operating a wide variety of heavy construction equipment such as motor patrol grader to construct roadways and ditches, tractors with bulldozer or trailers, dump trucks, farm type equipment, front-end loaders, backhoes using winch attachments and cables to excavate, backfill, grade, or level earth to grade specifications; performing work on all types of terrain including river banks, levees, and earthen dams; safely loading and hauling equipment to various locations; following safety procedures in equipment operation, and maintaining equipment.
You will be rated on the following Job Elements as part of the assessment questionnaire for this position:
- Operation of Motor Vehicles and Ability to Operate Safely (Non Motor Vehicles)
- Work Practices
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications, ETC. and Reliability and Dependability as an Engineering Equipment Operator
- Ability to Drive Safely (Motor Vehicles)
Heavy physical effort is used to perform work; requires constant reaching, bending, turning, and moving hands, arms, feet, and legs to handle different sets of controls to operate equipment and frequently adjust attachments. Considerable strain is caused by the constant vibration of the equipment and the jerking and jolting from operating over rough surfaces. Work is frequently performed in awkward or strained positions due to the location of the controls, attachments, and size of equipment. Semi-skilled trades and crafts work requires considerable standing, stooping, kneeling, bending, and working on ladders and scaffolds. Work intermittently requires incumbent to work in stretched, cramped, and awkward positions. Arm movement is considerable when using hand tools and power tools.
Work is performed in all types of weather, often in an open driver's seat or platform, on hills, slopes, grades, rolling surfaces, and forests. The operator is exposed to injury due to the possibility of the equipment overturning. He/She is subject to noise, vibration, dust, dirt, and fumes from the motor and exhaust. Trades and crafts and heavy labor work is performed mostly outside in recreation areas with some work performed in a shop area or inside comfort stations.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
This announcement may be used to fill like vacancies for six months after the closing date.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Business travel is required 50 percent of the time and 11 or more nights per month away from duty location.
- This is an inclement weather position.
- This is a drug testing position.
- Must possess a valid state's Driver's License.
- This position requires a Pre-employment physical and drug testing.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 position.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- This announcement can be used to fill like vacancies for 180 days after the closing date
- This position is Non-Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Nepotism: Under the provisions of 5 USC 3110, and individual may not be appointed into a position if the position is under the supervisory chain of command of a relative.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/475420500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-08 to 2017-08-21
Salary: $20.50 to $23.91 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 08
Series: 5716 Engineering Equipment Operating
Appointment type: Temporary NTE 1 YEAR
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: SWGR171959871992268D
Control number: 475420500