U.S. Army Communications Electronics Command Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator in Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania
About the Position:
Tobyhanna Army Depot (TYAD) is a recognized leader in providing world-class logistics support for Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) Systems across the Department of Defense. TYAD's Corporate Philosophy, dedicated workforce and electronics expertise ensure the depot is the Joint C4ISR provider of choice for all branches of the Armed Forces and our industry partners. TYAD's unique; and unparalleled, capabilities include full-spectrum support for sustainment, overhaul and repair, fabrication and manufacturing, engineering design and development, systems integration, technology insertion, modification, and global field support to our Warfighters.
Located in the heart of the Pocono Mountain Region; in Northeastern Pennsylvania, the area offers a low cost of living while providing ready access to many indoor and outdoor recreational activities. There are 36 colleges and universities in the local area, and the cities of New York, Philadelphia, Scranton, Stroudsburg, and Wilkes-Barre are only a short commute away. To learn more about our area and what employment at TYAD has to offer, please visit:
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Learn more about this agency
As a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator in the Directorate of Installation Services, you will operate and maintain the Depot Sewage Treatment Plant, the Industrial Wastewater Treatment Plant and the potable Water Treatment Plant. Operate and maintain sewage treatment facility equipment and processes. Provide for all phases of treatment of wastewater. Increase/decrease chemical agents. Prepare standardized reports to meet Federal/State regulations. Operate all other miscellaneous equipment required for collection and treatment of the depot's wastewater treatment plant.
Occasional travel - Approximately 10 Percent Business Travel
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
5408 Sewage Disposal Plant Operating
- Operators, Sewage Plant
- Operators, Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Operators, Water Treatment Plant
- Operators, Water Treatment System
- Sewage Plant Operators
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators
Conditions of Employment
- Suitability Investigation Required
- Required to pass a Pre-Employment Physical
- Shift work MAY be required
- Possess, or obtain/maintain a valid State Driver's License
- Sewage/Waste Water Treatment Plant & Water Supply System Certifications
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Temporary business travel (TDY) approximately ten (10) Percent.
- Shift work MAY be required.
- Obtain/Maintain valid State Driver's License.
- Pass a Pre-Employment Physical
- Relocation/Moving expenses are NOT authorized.
- Career Program (CP) 18
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is not a specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of the position.
To meet the basic eligibility, you must receive at least two points on the screen out indicated above and must have an average of two points on all the job elements listed below. Your application will be further evaluated to determine if you meet the best qualified cut-off for referral to the Selecting Official.
Screen Out Element: The ability to perform the work of a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator without more than normal supervision to include duties related to some of the stages of the wastewater treatment process; operation of general machinery; and assisting with various chemical treatments.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
1) Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
2) Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
3) Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
4) Use of Measuring Instruments
5) Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (other than blueprinting reading)
Selective Placement Factor
The incumbent must possess, at minimum, one of the following certifications prior to employment:
1) Sewage/Waste Water Treatment Plant (CLASS C: Subclass 2, 3, and 4) Certification OR 2) Water Supply System (CLASS C: Subclass 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14) Certification
Considerable walking, standing on concrete floors, etc. Light/moderate effort is required to turn valves and controls. The incumbent frequently lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 pounds unassisted, and heavier weights with assistance from other workers or lifting devices.
The incumbent performs Wastewater Plant and Water Treatment duties both indoors and outdoors and are, therefore, subject to prevailing weather conditions. This position is exposed to constant noise, rotating machinery, dirt, grease, chemicals, oil, and fumes in the work area; subject to cuts/abrasions from the use of tools and equipment as well as chemical burns. The incumbent may also work on catwalks and ladders, and is required to follow prescribed safety practices and to wear appropriate safety equipment, e.g., gloves, protective clothing, etc. Subject position is exposed to chemicals and compounds some of which may be hazardous.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
- Your resume may be submitted in any format.
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements: You MUST submit a copy of your transcript if you want to substitute your education for experience. If you claim qualifications based on education, and do not submit a transcript, your education will not be used in making a qualification determination and you may be found "not qualified." See: Transcripts and Licenses
If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents follow the directions located at: Faxing Applications and Documents The Vacancy ID is 2009925. You will need the questionnaire, View Occupational Questionnaire, to complete your faxed application
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, September 22, 2017 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan. Faxed documents must be completely transmitted by 11:59p.m. Eastern Standard Time on the closing date of the announcement.
The Department of the Army provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the servicing civilian personnel unit. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Agency contact information
Central Resume Processing Center
DA NER DECOE Please contact by email Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
Learn more about this agency
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office at OPM
- Office of Equal Opportunity
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/479360000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 09/14/2017 to 09/22/2017
Salary: $22.19 to $25.92 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 10
Work schedule: Full-Time - Full Time
Appointment type: Permanent