Washington State General Operations Technician in Shoreline, Washington
WSDOT has an exciting opportunity that is ideal for an enterprising individual who is seeking to start a great career as a Transportation Technician supporting the vast infrastructure of Washington State. This incumbent will be performing reviews involving public and in-house requests for signing and striping improvements on the highway. The General Operations Technician provides data entry, technical, and field support to General Operations Engineers. This incumbent will also assist with and create work orders to install highway signs. The position exists to improve overall efficiency of the agency and reduce the backlog of work assigned to the General Operations group.
WSDOT is the steward of a multimodal transportation system and responsible for ensuring that people and goods move safely and efficiently. WSDOT's diverse programs and projects are supported by more than 6,800 full-time employees, including engineers, vessel captains, maintenance technicians, environmental specialists, planners, and more. WSDOT offers outstanding benefits, generous paid time off (true work-life balance), a defined benefit pension plan, advancement opportunities, and much more. For more information regarding our benefits, go to http://www.careers.wa.gov/benefits.html. We take pride in our workforce and strive for excellence and integrity in everything we do.
This position will perform the following work:
- Respond to public and in-house requests for highway signing improvements
- Create the required sign inventory IDs for highway signs to be installed on the state highway system using the Traffic Sign Management System
- Create sign orders using the WSDOT Sign Order System program
- Prepare work orders to install involving guide, regulatory, warning, and other signs along the highway
- Create and update excel, work, and access spreadsheets used to track special signing programs, including biennial sign programs
- Other work as assigned
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Completion of accredited vocational/ technical program in Civil Engineering Technology or other closely related field desired.
- Experience performing semi-skilled technical engineering work as a Transportation Technician 1 or 2 or equivalent.
- Basic computer and math skills
- Ability to perform independent field reviews and drive a pickup truck in a safe manner
- Ability to operate an electronic distance measuring device
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain and work in inclement weather
This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the Local 17, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please hit the largeapply button at the top of this announcement, you may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position, you will need to attach a resume and letter of interest to your electronic application and answer the supplemental questions. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position. Be prepared to provide references at the time of interview.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Cody Buchananat 206-440-4068or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 17DOT-NWR-12776.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Talent Acquisition Unit, Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.6846 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: $35,808.00 - $65,916.00 Annually
Location: King County - Shoreline, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 17DOT-NWR-12776
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact