NewMarket Sr. Operations Manager in Sauget, Illinois
More information about this job:
This position manages all component production units within the facility. Directs operations area managers and coordinates interaction with other groups to make improvements within the facility. May manage/supervise a team of 125 employees.
1. Provide strong HSES leadership by actively promoting safe behaviors and operator engagement. Coach entire group in safety leadership to ensure alignment with safety as a core value. Ensure all HSES procedures and standards are followed including: incident reporting, management of change, safe work permits, adherence to PPE requirements, etc.
2. Work with the plant manager and site leadership team to develop a long term vision for the site, and develop near, medium, and long term goals/action plans to direct organization toward that vision.
3. Assign and track KPIs at all levels in operations department and determine priorities for the manufacturing units. Participate in weekly production planning calls with global planning.
4. Develop and revise long term goals (3 - 5 years) for operations. Develop periodic (minimal annual) goals and objectives for the department and monitor progress toward both near term and long term goals.
5. Lead the delivery of continuous improvement initiatives in the areas of HSES, throughput (OEE), cost, and product integrity and drives the culture to focus resources and accountability on these core initiatives. Understand and promote adoption and application of LEAN tools.
6. Develop annual direct spend budgets, actively manage and report cost activity and variances. Promote efforts to identify and implement cost improvements.
7. Promote a collaborative teamwork environment to establish innovation, respect, and trust.
8. Establish good working relationships across the organization in areas of Maintenance, Logistics, Purchasing, Quality, Engineering, R&D, etc. Challenge the status-quo through healthy tension and passion for continuous improvement.
9. Cultivate a strong working relationship with the union and resolve issues and concerns working toward a constructive win:win outcome. Actively participate in grievance and progressive discipline discussions. Serve on the negotiating team for the collective bargaining agreement.
10. Review capital projects for safety and operability, and develop 18 - 24 month capital prioritization plan to drive long term vision and sustainability. Approve capital expenditures consistent with plan.
11. Provide ongoing performance feedback to Operations personnel to promote accountability and organizational development.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE MINIMUMS:
- BS degree in a technical field - Chemistry / Chemical Engineering Preferred
- 10+ years relevant work experience
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- MS or MBA degree
- 6+ years experience in operations or production management role
- Experience in a unionized environment
- Experience within a facility covered by PSM
- Lean Manufacturing experience
- Effective leadership skills and the ability to work productively in a cross functional team environment
- Influencing, negotiating and diplomacy skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to effectively solve problems and resolve conflicts
- Organization skills and is able to prioritize work, develop appropriate time lines and work to deadlines; understands application of LEAN tools
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Able to travel as required
- Skills, software knowledge and / or certifications specific to the industry
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to the individual's race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a military veteran or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.