Texas Sterling Construction Dozer Operator in San Antonio, Texas
Texas Sterling Construction
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.
Job ID 2017-2052
# of Openings 1
Job Locations US-TX-San Antonio
Min. Exp.(Yrs) ..
Posted Date 5/17/2017
Operates Dozer (hydraulic shovel attached to tractor or train) which digs holes and trenches and removes and transports earth, gravel and other such materials and/or operates tractor equipped with concave blade attached across front to gouge out, level, and distribute earth and to push trees and rocks from land preparatory to constructing roads and buildings. Many of these jobs are not full time, the size of the project and organization of the work determining whether a worker spends all his time on one job or is transferred from task to task as the project progresses to completion. Some workers habitually work in one branch of the industry, whereas others transferred from task to task as the project progresses to completion or according to the availability of work or on a seasonal basis. May be designated according to specific work performed.
- Fastens attachments to tractor with clevis or wedge pin hitches.
- Connects hydraulic hoses, belts, mechanical linkage, or power takeoff shaft to tractor to provide power to raise, lower, or tilt attachment.
- Moves levers to control tool bars, carriers, and disks.
- Moves hand and foot levers to control hydraulic shovel.
- Uses shovel to dig trenches and holes of specified length, depth and width, remove loosened material and put in piles or transport trucks.
- Moves levers and depresses pedals to maneuver equipment and raise, lower, and tilt attachment to clear right-of-way.
- Feels lever and listens for stalling action of engine to estimate depth of cut.
- Drives bulldozer in successive passes over terrain to raise or lower terrain to specified grade following markings on grade stakes or hand signals.
- Performs routine maintenance on equipment, such as lubricating, fueling, and cleaning.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.