Google Data Center Hardware Operations Engineer in Saint Ghislain, Belgium
The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring, maintaining and deploying the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google's powerful search technology. As an Operations Engineer, you'll deploy and maintain Google's advanced Data Center Server and Network Infrastructure. You'll also participate in or lead local project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans. In this role, duties range from the physical deployment of data center-related technology to working closely with the various stakeholders. It will fall to you to ensure that our goals, missions and projects are successfully delivered, and, more importantly, that they are repeatable across our global array of data centers. This position offers a great introduction to the wider engineering world at Google. Depending of your area of interest, capabilities, and geographical mobility, you will have the opportunity to develop either within Hardware Operations or move towards software development, engineering, networking operations or our project management groups.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to tackle some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Contribute and lead efforts/projects in the deployment, maintenance, and support of current and new data center infrastructure.
- Lead complex troubleshooting and resolve critical or escalated technical issues over a significant population of affected equipment.
- Help test and troubleshoot new complex server hardware components and designs.
- Configure and troubleshoot Linux OS related issues on our servers. Participate actively in on-call rotations to support our data center infrastructure, which may include occasional after hours, weekends and national holiday shift work.
- Lead and take part in the development and of processes and documentation for new areas of work or knowledge. Mentor, train and guide new team members.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Ability to lift/move (25kg) equipment as required.
- Ability to work non-standard work hours as needed including working weekends, holidays and shift-based schedules.
- Experience as a team, project or technical lead,
- Experience working extensively on data center server and networking hardware, with a solid understanding of the infrastructure at a high level.
- Advanced experience/understanding of hardware architecture, maintenance and repair.
- Advanced level Linux skills, including installation, systems administration and troubleshooting. Advanced Networking knowledge, including topology and protocol understanding.
- Strong people and communication skills.
- Ability to speak and write English fluently in a professional working environment.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.