City of Roanoke Building Operations Worker (Custodian) in Roanoke, Virginia
Building Operations Worker (Custodian)
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES Performs custodial work in the care and cleaning of school buildings; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of a Senior or Lead Operations Worker and/or the building Principal.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude the other duties if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job description. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Cleans school building interiors
- Sweeps, vacuums, buffs, strips, waxes, mops, and dust mops assigned areas.
- Removes trash from rooms and buildings and puts in containers and dumpster.
- Scrubs and cleans toilets including mirrors, wash basins, urinals, commodes, slop sinks, etc.; fills tissue, towel and soap dispensers; disinfects as needed.
- Dusts furniture, walls, window sills and other woodwork; washes desk tops and student chairs.
- Washes windows, walls and woodwork, dusts venetian blinds.
- Cleans drinking fountains.
- Polices school grounds and picks up debris, and empties trash.
- Secures windows and classroom doors daily and checks alarms; turns lighting off and on as appropriate.
- Cleans storage rooms and equipment and orders, unloads and stores supplies and deliveries.
- Follows task sheet as provided by supervisor.
- Relocates classroom furniture and books as needed.
- Removes snow during inclement weather.
- Performs related tasks as required.
*_Work hours for available positions are between 2:00 pm - 12:00 am_* Previous experience is preferred but not required.
In addition to your salary RCPS offers a comprehensive benefit package (Medical, Dental, Vision, Retirement, Life Insurance and many optional benefits). The value of total benefit packages range from $9,690-$12,105.
Pre-employment requirements include a background check and drug screening.
Roanoke City Public Schools is an urban school division serving a k-12 student population of 13,800 in 17 elementary schools, 5 middle schools, 2 senior high schools, Forest Park Academy, Noel C Taylor Learning Academy, and Roanoke Valley Governor's School. A staff of 2,100 is employed in the division.
RCPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs and activities. The following person(s) has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:Steve Barnett- Title IX Coordinator (540) 853-2382.
For inquiries regarding employment non-discrimination policies please contactHuman Resources at 853-2502.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES Some knowledge of cleaning methods, materials and equipment; ability to understand and follow simple oral and written directions; ability to get along well with others; ability to read; thoroughness, cleanliness.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to completion of the eighth grade.
This is requiring the exertion of 40 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work frequently requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, and observing general surroundings and activities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
Ability to remember repetitive, step by step task completion, stay alert to time requirements for task completion, recognize and recall safety requirements for use of chemical and equipment
Involves work in both inside and outside work environments with both controlled temperature settings and hot or cold temperature extremes can exist. Work hazards exist to include exposure to cleaning related chemicals, human bio-hazard fluids/waste. Physical hazards exist in using hand and power tools and equipment.
Medical, Dental, Virginia Retirement System
$17,285.00 - $28,400.00
Posting ID: POS20161005000002
Name: Building Operations Worker (Custodian)
Location: Various Locations
Posting Start Date: 10/5/2016
Salary: Salary $17,285.00 - $28,400.00
Salary Range: $17,285.00 - $28,400.00
Benefit: Medical, Dental, Virginia Retirement System