National Park Service Motor Vehicle Operator in Riverdale, Maryland
About the Agency
This position is located in the Office of the NPS Liaison to the White House. Please visit find a park for additional park information.
Current and former Federal employees with status, or who are reinstatement eligible; veterans eligible under the VEOA authority, or who are 30% or more disabled; applicants eligible under special appointing authorities such as individuals with targeted disabilities, certain military spouses, former Peace Corps and Vista Volunteers, etc. For more information, select the following link(s): 1) Merit Promotion, 2) Status Candidate, and/or 3) Veteran Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA).
This is aCareer/Career-Conditional work schedule appointment.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. All travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected employee.
This position is concurrently open to all U.S. citizens under Announcement Number NC-1616-WHHO-17-10033368-DE.
- Operate and perform operator maintenance on straight-in-line trucks which typically have an approximate gross vehicle weight up to 33,000 pounds
- Couples and Uncouple's the truck tractor and semi-trailer or truck and trailer, and connect and disconnect the air brakes and electrical lines
- Maneuver any vehicle they operate with close tolerances when driving and backing
- Operate and perform operator maintenance on electric, gasoline, or diesel powered fork lift trucks which are capable of lifting loads up to 10,000 pounds
- Occasionally sweeps, dry mops, scrubs, waxes, and polishes floors, using brooms, mops, light and heavyweight (industrial) powered scrubbers and buffers
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
To qualify for this position, you must have sufficient knowledge and ability in the following job-related factors:
- Ability to do the work of a Motor Vehicle Operator WG-5703-07/08, without more than normal supervision. (SCREEN OUT) If your knowledge and ability in the SCREEN OUT factor above is not sufficient, you will receive no further consideration. In preparing your application, describe in detail the experience and training which you have had that specifically prepared you for this job and to perform the duties described for this job. Experience should be clearly described and documented in your resume. The qualifications reviewer will not assume performance of such duties by Job Titles alone. Address your knowledge, skills and/or abilities in the areas shown in the job-related factors.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no substitution of education for experience for Wage Grade (WG) positions.
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- You will be required to submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test result prior to appointment. In addition, this position is subject to random testing for illegal drug use..
- You must possess and maintain a current Class A, (or higher) Commercial Driver's License
- You may be required to complete training and operate a four-wheel drive vehicle.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- You may be required to travel overnight away from home up to 3 nights per year. You must obtain a government charge card for travel purposes.
- Government Charge Card: You may be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority.
What To Expect Next
Once the Occupational Questionnaire is received you will receive acknowledgement that your submission was successful. If you are among the most qualified candidates and your name is referred to the hiring official, you may be contacted directly for a possible interview. You will be notified of the status of your Application Package at the time candidates are referred for consideration, and when the selection process is complete.
Review our benefits
Promotion to the full performance level is neither guaranteed nor implied and will be based solely on your ability to satisfactorily perform the work of the position, existing work at the higher grade level, and recommendation by the position's supervisor.
Physical Demands: Drivers at this grade exert light to heavy physical effort in climbing on tractors to hook up service lines, lower landing gears, move forks, in climbing on the trailer to load or tie down cargo, controlling vehicles, in making couplings between the vehicle and towed equipment because safety chains. towbars, and hooks must be lifted and properly secured. Considerable physical effort may be required to change tires and make limited emergency repairs, such as installing an emergency fan belt or replacing an electrical fuse on open highways. Incumbent routinely exerts moderate physical effort in reaching, bending, turning, or moving hands, arms, feet, and legs to operate hand and foot controls for the vehicle or fork lift. Strain is caused by vibration of the vehicle or fork lift truck being operated. Incumbent routinely exerts moderate physical effort to lift and move objects weighing over 23 kilograms (50 pounds) or heavier items in conjunction with co-workers or material handling equipment. Incumbent will often stand on hard surfaces for extended periods of time, and must bend, stoop, turn, reach, push, pull, climb, and work in tiring and sometimes uncomfortable positions.
Working Conditions: Work is completed inside or outside in areas that may be hot, damp, cold, drafty, or poorly lighted. Each day the incumbent works in an administrative office area with computers, copies fax machine, etc., in a warehouse in tempered temperature conditions that can go as low as 56F and as high as 95F, a museum storage facility that is conditioned to 64F and 51%RH, and outdoors in all climatic conditions. Incumbent can expect to stand and work for long periods on concrete or other hard surfaces. They are continually exposed to dust, fumes, dirt, and grease and may be subject to exposure from toxins, explosive hazards, or chemical fumes. Work may require wearing protective clothing such as hard hats, steel toes shoes, rubber gloves, masks, and rubber aprons.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=AlternateApplicationInformation.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476131900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-09 to 2017-08-22
Salary: $22.55 to $28.18 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 7 - 8
Series: 5703 Motor Vehicle Operating
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: NC-1616-WHHO-17-10034849-ST
Control number: 476131900