U.S. Army Joint Munitions Command Explosive Operator (MH/FLO) in Richmond, Kentucky
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:This position is with the Blue Grass Army Depot, Mission Management Directorate, located in Richmond, Kentucky.
Richmond Kentucky is the home of Eastern Kentucky University and is centrally located and within driving distance from a number of major cities. It is approximately 20 miles from Lexington, KY; 90 miles from Cincinnati, OH; 90 miles from Louisville, KY, 140 miles from Knoxville, TN; 210 miles from Indianapolis, IN; 225 miles from Nashville, TN; 350 miles from Atlanta, GA; 375 miles from Charlotte, NC; and 400 miles from Chicago, IL.
Who May Apply:
Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army
- Eligible due to Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP)
- Eligible under Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
- Priority Placement Program, Program S (Military Spouse) registrants referred through the Automated Stopper and Referral System (ASARS) for this position
- Operates drilling machines to remove stakings; vacuum systems and/or hand powered equipment to clean and/or draw off explosive residue.
- Operates such equipment by placing items and/or components in holding devices or in proper position in machines, manipulating levers or controls to effect operation, removing items or components from machine and replacing on conveyor belts, skids, carts, hand trucks, in boxes, etc., as required.
- Refers to applicable automated document systems concerning proper item description, packaging, marking, labeling, handling, and other criteria such as explosive weight, United Nationals (UN) markings, item compatibility, etc.
- Packs, seals containers, unpacks, sorts, stacks, palletizes, warehouses, bins, and moves items and checks for required maintenance.
- Assumes custodial and property responsibility for stock; conventional ammunition, chemical defense equipment, hard iron pieces and parts, etc. upon receipt.
- Selects, assembles and completes documentation for issue and shipments of various types of munitions, chemical defense equipment, and hard iron parts and pieces.
- Operates scan-ray machine to inspect inert munitions.
- Performs physical or manual operations involved in the disassembly and/or assembly of ammunition.
- Operates electric and gasoline powered forklift trucks capable of lifting loads weighing 10,000 pounds or more to move, load, or unload, transfer, transport, and stack or un-stack palletized goods, boxes, crates, and materials from one location to another.
- Operates a gasoline powered flatbed stake truck to haul small boxes of inert, small arms and conventional ammunition and assures that truck is properly loaded, cargo is protected and secured.
- Occasional Travel
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army; ICTAP; VEOA; Military Spouse
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Tour of Duty: Full Time
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Bargaining Unit: Yes
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered.
Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to submit a thorough resume that directly relates to this position.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations (X-118C). Additional qualification information can be found at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c/tabindx.asp.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
SCREEN OUT: Ability to do the work of an Explosive Operator (MH/FLO) without more than normal supervision: Experience working on complex operations with minimal supervision. I am able to operate equipment, make adjustments, and follow complex written and verbal instructions. Adhere to regulations, apply quality standards, and ensure proper safety practices are followed with little or no supervision.
*PHYSICAL EFFORT: *Work is performed on hard surfaces and requires working in tiring and uncomfortable positions. The work normally requires extensive standing, walking, repeated bending, kneeling, and the use of both hands. Requires listing and carrying supplies, materials and equipment that weigh up to 70 pounds. May occasionally handle items that weigh up to 100 pounds.
*WORKING CONDITIONS: *Work is performed inside maintenance buildings, warehouses, igloos, in open areas, and on receiving and shipping docks. The areas may be cold, drafty and damp, or hot. There is considerable possibility of injury from falling or dropped stock, exposure to cuts, bruises, lacerations, and hazards associated with handling explosive loaded materials, such as cuts, burns, bruises and sprains. The duties performed are regularly subjected to dirt, noise, dust, fumes, smoke and gases. Protective clothing is issued as determined necessary by supervisor and safety procedures.
Conditions of Employment:
- This is a drug testing designated position
- This position requires a back ground investigation.
- This position requires a pre-employment physical and annual physical thereafter.
- This position is covered by the 1996 Lautenberg amendment.
- This position requires a Fork lift license.
- The incumbent of this job is subject to the training, qualification, certification and retraining requirements of AMC-R 350-4 for operations personnel involved in conventional and/or toxic chemical ammunition operations.
- This position requires business travel 5% of the time.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Permanent change of station will not be authorized.
- Defense National Relocation Program will not be authorized.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Future Separation from the Military: You are required to submit a copy of your most recent DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) OR certification document* OR a copy of your most recent active duty orders AND a copy of your terminal leave request (if applicable). You will be required to provide your DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) upon issuance.
- Active duty military members who are selected may not be appointed unless on terminal leave or already separated from the armed forces.
- The "certification" is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. The Statement of Service must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters, AND the Statement of Service letter must include your rank, dates of active duty service, the Type of Discharge, Character of Service (i.e. honorable), and, if applicable, when your terminal leave will begin.
- This is a Career Program 33 position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476145200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-09 to 2017-08-18
Salary: $18.09 to $21.09 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 06
Series: 6502 Explosives Operating
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: SWAU171972641994075
Control number: 476145200