Sallie Mae Structured Finance Operation Analyst in Reston, Virginia
Structured Finance Operation Analyst
Req ID R01330
Sallie Mae is a company created with great purpose. We provide loans. But what separates us from any other financial institution is that we have a why. We have a purpose. We make the dream of higher education a reality. We do it by being a resource for families who want to save, plan, and pay for college. Our vision, to be a trusted financial partner, inspires us to explore new ways to serve our customers every day. No matter what position you hold at Sallie Mae, you'll have a role in moving us toward that vision.
Over the last 40 years, Sallie Mae has helped more than 34 million Americans pay for college. The same passion we have for helping customers is applied to helping our employees achieve professional and personal growth. With a wide range of opportunities available, we invite you to join our growing team and help students make their dreams of higher education a reality.
Using applied knowledge of financial instruments and financing structure mechanics this position is responsible for timely and accurate operations, maintenance, report development and administration of Sallie Mae's various secured funding vehicles. This includes and not limited to loan sale funding/reporting, payment distributions, monthly reporting, cash reconciliation and compliance of the Sallie Mae asset-backed securities ("ABS") trust(s) and asset-backed commercial paper ("ABCP") program(s) as dictated by the underlying agreements and regulations. As well as reporting and assist in managing of Sallie Mae's Loan purchase program.
The position will also play an active role in supporting multiple audits throughout the year and ensure Sallie Mae's compliance with Regulation AB and other various required audits.
Trust and Facility compliance, payment and reporting activities 30%
- Preparing and reviewing Asset Backed Securities investor reporting and waterfall distribution calculations, confirming swap payments with external derivative counterparties, initiating payment of Asset Backed Securities related fees and payments with trustee/paying agent banks. Monitoring Asset Backed Securities covenants and triggers monthly for compliance with agreements and regulations. New ABS and ABCP report development based on underlying agreements and regulations.
Loan Purchase Reporting and management 30%
- Facilitates reporting to various internal departments and assist in administrating program needs as it relates to the Company's obligations (legally, regulatory) and business requirements.
Facility secured borrowings and funding note paydown processing 10%
- Coordination with Corporate Finance on loan purchase and sale schedules that support funding activity. Communicating expected funding needs or expected cash to the Cash Management group. Preparing advance borrowing requests and permitted release requests to the Conduit Banks. Coordinating cash settlements from borrowings and releases with the bank agents along with various internal groups. Preparing required post-settlement reporting and wire requests for post settlement funding.
Cash reconciliation of trust activity 5%
- Verifying trust cash activity occurs at the trustee/agent banks according to projected activity from various internal source systems; manage exceptions that fall out of this process.
Respond to inquiries on operational issues and document guidelines 10%
- Answering routine questions from legal, accounting, loan servicing, corporate finance, and trustee banks etc. on operational aspects of the trusts. Partner with accounting to ensure bank activity is coded to the general ledger appropriately and addresses their questions around bank transactions. Provides guidance to legal and Structured Finance on operational constraints on new transactions. Answers questions from various loan servicing areas on servicing agreement interpretation.
Data management and systems updates 5%
- New deal parameter input into company systems with periodic updates; along with inputting rate resets and bond/swap amortizations. Posts reports to salliemae.com and reviews website for data integrity. Participates in testing activities around system upgrades and other IT initiatives.
Auditor interaction and request fulfillment: 5%
- Facilitates auditor document requests and responds to audit questions with the assistance of Manager -- Regulation AB, Servicing and Admin Agreement, Sarbanes Oxley 404, internal audits and other miscellaneous required audits.
Other duties as assigned 5%
- Bachelor's degree in a business field, preferably Finance, and at least 2-3 year prior relevant financial experience.
Other Helpful Education or Experience:
- Experience with different types of structured financings preferred.
- Familiarity with 1991 ISDA standards desired.
- Experience interpreting complex legal agreements.
- Familiarity with investor/rating agency reporting requirements.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in Excel is required along with basic math problem solving skills.
- Requires knowledge of how companies issue different types of debt to raise capital.
- Must be comfortable taking an operational lead role in dealing with underwriters, broker dealers, banks, investors and various individuals internally on a regular basis.
- Must have excellent writing and verbal skills and have ability to bridge inter-departmental function communication gaps.
- Microsoft Access with Oracle database experience required to troubleshoot data and reporting issues.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and to exercise judgment and discretion.
- Self-motivated and be able to work individually or collaboratively.
Ability to anticipate issues and proactively problem solve.
EEO Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America. Sallie Mae is a drug free workplace.
Location Reston, VA
Date Posted Aug 10, 2017