Precision Castparts Corp. Gate Removal Operator, LPC-T/841 in Portland, Oregon
To separate gating systems from castings using rods or torches within close tolerances to reduce grinding time and other potential rework. To prepare castings for saws and other cleaning operations by separating gating systems without damaging castings.
- Gating Removal:
Objective: to apply developed skill, understanding, mastery of equipment and understanding of the dimensional requirements of finished parts to remove gating system metals from castings achieving close tolerances within one-eight inch or less of finished part dimensions. Finished work products generally exceed tech card standards for cleaning operations.
Essential Job Functions:
A. Verifies correct lot numbers and serialization; reviews Technique Cards. B. Operates air carbon arc torch in burnout booth to cut and separate gating systems from parts cuts as close to the part as practical without damaging castings C. Cleans shell material from around gatings using pneumatic tools. (Marginal job function at LSBO and SSBO). D. Mixes protective coating; coast castings for protection. E. Cuts off, cleans, documents and verifies test bars for proper identification and routing. F. After removal, sorts gating by metal alloy for revert processing. G. Removes gating and test bars using abrasive saws. (SSBO and LSBO only). H. Section cuts castings and gatings for evaluating by engineering as needed. (LSBO and SSBO only).
Objective: to maintain burnoff equipment in proper working order.
Essential Job Functions:
A. Performs minor maintenance on equipment, including torches, hand tools, stingers, and gas lines. B. Contacts maintenance or advises supervisor of need for other equipment repairs/maintenance.
- Training, Interaction and Documentation:
Objective: to participate in the assessment of burnoff skills of new operators and provide training necessary to achieve tech card standards. To communicate, share information, accept criticism and input from grinders and others and document work when necessary.
Essential Job Functions:
A.Accept assignment of new burnoff operator(s) for training. Provide training necessary to such individual(s) to develop necessary job skills. B. Provide feedback to supervision regarding progress of individual trainees and assessments of observed performance upon request. C. Communicate with supervisory and/or grinding personnel regarding tolerances achieved on parts, amount of grinding necessary or additional burnoff possible on specific areas of parts. Accept and productively apply input, criticism and feedback to improve quality of future work product - particularly when working on new parts. D. Work with others including supervision, engineers, grinding, etc. to develop techniques for improving tolerances achieved and establish precision tolerances attainable on new or modified parts.
Essential Job Functions: A. Adheres to plant and department safety rules. B. Safely operates all equipment and tools. C. Identifies and reports safety problems. D. Participates in safety audits (SSBO only). E. May be required to work with hazardous waste.
NOTE: for job positions that require respiratory protection (more than a filtering face piece – dust mask):
In compliance with the Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division Personal Protective Equipment standard for Respiratory Protection, OAR 437, Div. 2/I 1910.134 and Oregon Health Division Rules for the Control of Radiation, OAR 333. Div. 120 (333-120-300 through 330), certain tasks within this job position require/may require the use of a NIOSH-approved respirator. An individual will not be assigned to these tasks if the person is not able to work under these conditions. Respirator selection will be based on the work performed, exposure information, duration of use and any other relevant factors. If a tight-fitting respirator is required, facial hair, temple pieces on glasses or other items that interferes with the face-to-face piece seal of the respirator are not permitted.
- Meets all production and quality standards.
- Completes logs and records.
OTHER (Marginal) ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Performs other tasks as directed.
ESSENTIAL EQUIPMENT, VEHICLES, MACHINERY AND/OR TOOLS USED:
- Air carbon arc.
- Air arc stingers and rods (LSBO and SSBO only) and gas arc torch (TBO only, marginal equipment at SSBO).
- Hoists, straps, chains, hooks.
- Pallet jack (marginal equipment at SSBO)
- Basic hand tools (e.g. hammer, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.)
- Pneumatic tools (air gun and/or air hammer)
- Knife. 9.Tip cleaner (TBO only).
- Ground bar (LSBO, SSBO only).
- Protex Spray Gun (LSBO, SSBO only).
- Grates and bricks.
- PCC’s Forklift Driving Safety Certification Training must be completed.
- May be required to complete Hazardous Waste and Solid Waste Management Training.
- Radiation Safety Training must be completed (TBO only)
- Visual Inspection Class must be completed. (SSBO only)
- Experience with air carbon arc torch, or welding equipment.
- Three to six months experience in other Cleaning Operations and demonstrated ability to perform precision tasks without damaging parts.
- Ability to read and interpret Technique Cards, routers and other special instructions.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations. (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to resolve problems and share information with others particularly with regard to part dimensions, the potential and limits of effective burnoff techniques.
- Ability to work independently.
- Physical ability to perform the essential job functions.
MAJOR PLANT DIFFERENCES:
- TBO - Operators work in radioactive controlled area and wear radioactive badges.
- LSBO & SSBO - Operators also perform Sawyer duties.
Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID: PCC-US.9866