Washington State Roadway Operations Manager - WMS2 in Olympia, Washington
The Opportunity: The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced leader to serve as the Roadway Operations Manager for the Maintenance Operations Division in Olympia WA. The division's main goal is to ensure the highway infrastructure is maintained in good working order to allow for uninterrupted movement of people and commerce across the state. You will provide leadership and oversight of the snow and ice, roadway and roadside programs.
As the Roadway Operations Manager, the incumbent will assist the Maintenance Operation Manager in the strategic leadership of the Highway Maintenance Program. This includes developing and implementing statewide policies; overseeing the delivery and accountability of the program, applying management principles to manage the snow and ice, roadway and roadside programs.
This position will perform the following work:
- Work in close coordination and collaboration with superintendents and supervisors in the six WSDOT geographic regions.
- Provide leadership in the implementation of the pavement asset management, including providing clarification on policy, procedural, legal and technical concerns related to maintenance and preservation.
- Serve as the HQ delegate to the P1 taskforce which will include responding to legislative concerns related to pavement maintenance issues.
- Assist in the development of statewide bridge maintenance policies, procedures and budge development.
- Provide leadership in the placement and maintenance of roadside safety features including insuring that regional maintenance staff has appropriate inventory, specifications, training and knowledge of safety hardware.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of the statewide snow and ice plan and practice.
- Provide leadership in the implementation of the statewide vegetation management policy and procedure as out lined in area plans and the roadside manual.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- A broad understanding of WSDOT maintenance operations.
- A detailed knowledge of winter snow and ice operations.
- Knowledge of pavement design, construction and maintenance techniques.
- Understanding of budget development, implementation and management for all roadway and roadside maintenance activities.
- Ability to manage complex projects and agreements using skilled negotiation and management techniques.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with customers, agency managers, technical staff and external stakeholders.
- Must be able to accept supervisory authority.
- Must be able to travel for prolonged periods of time via automobile and aircraft.
- Must be able to encourage change processes and evaluate and implement process improvements.
- Must be able to make independent decisions within the context of program and department policy and mission.
- Ability to participate in field reviews in varied terrain and weather.
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Erik Lunkeat 360-705-7747 or email to LunkeE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 17DOT-WMS-0W504.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call or email the recruiter.
Salary: $76,920.00 - $98,628.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 17DOT-WMS-0W504
Closing: 10/23/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact