HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Operating Room Nurse Coordinator in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
*GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: *Contributes to the company’s mission and vision by utilizing the nursing process in planning, executing, and evaluating the nursing care rendered postoperatively until patient is dismissed from the facility. Responsible for coordinating the environmental control, area staff, assistance to physicians, materials and equipment, education of personnel and all designated administrative duties. Analyzes and evaluates nursing services to improve quality of care provided. Nursing care meets the standards of the profession, the policies and procedures of the Center, and is appropriate to the Center’s patient population to identify patient and family needs.
SUPERVISOR –Clinical Director/Manager
SUPERVISES– Designated area clinical staff.
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
· Coordinates nursing care in the designated clinical unit/department.
· Ensures sufficient staffing on a daily basis. Notifies staff of scheduling changes in a timely manner.
· Coordinates and delegates tasks to individuals according to the activities required and staff competency.
· Assists with managing labor cost by coordinating adequate staffing patterns according to the utilization of the area and keeping an open line of communication with Clinical Director/Manager and Administrator, as per facility practices.
· Assessable to staff in clinical area and assists with staff and clinical needs i.e. providing breaks, ensure coverage for meal breaks, late cases, and staffing shortages, as required.
· Monitors to ensure that the clinical area is maintained properly i.e. equipment cleaned and functioning properly.
· Assists with development of policies/procedures and facility practices, as directed.
· Responsible for monitoring clinical staff for compliance with facility policies and practices, procedures, and QI Program (hazardous waste, blood borne pathogens, infection control, etc.)
· Monitors to ensure timely and accurate medical records documentation.
· Assists with maintaining proper inventory levels and cost containment.
· Encourages teamwork among staff.
· Assists with selection and hiring of staff.
· Exhibits flexibility in self schedule.
· Assists with employee orientation and performance management.
· Assists with coordinating staff training/in-services and monitoring to ensure compliance.
· Handles operating room clinical variances and coordinates follow up with Risk Manager, Center Administrator, and Clinical Director, as required.
· Reports any environmental safety hazards to Risk Manager, Clinical Director/Manager, and Administrator, as per facility practices.
· Assists with handling employee matters; reports to Clinical Director/Manager and Administrator, as required.
· Communicates nursing and physician activities as required per facility practices to Clinical Director and Administrator in a timely manner.
· Assists with monthly staff meetings.
* Demonstrates necessary practical, technical or specialized knowledge and skills required for the role of the peri-operative nurse in accordance with AORN and other regulatory standards of practice.
* Demonstrates knowledge of surgical procedures and has the ability to oversee the instrument and equipment set-up, prepare for the case utilizing preference cards, and anticipates needs of surgeon.
* Coordinates and oversees the room during a case as the circulator.
* Facilitates effective and efficient transition between surgical procedures. * Utilizes preference cards and updates as necessary. * Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients, stretchers, and OR tables to prevent injury to patient and self. * Demonstrates knowledge/understanding of management of patient, including being available to anesthesia during intubation and extubation, assisting as needed in sudden changes in patient condition i.e. cardiopulmonary arrest, Malignant Hyperthermia, etc., and being readily available to assist as directed. * Performs thorough patient interview and assessment in accordance with procedure and assures an appropriate, detailed time out process is done according to policy. * Consistently reviews charts for completeness, in accordance with documentation protocols prior to and after the surgical procedure. Assures appropriate consent, H/P, diagnostic reports, and relevant information are on chart prior to the start of procedure. o Ensures that H/P is a complete full examination of all body systems and dated within 30-days prior to procedure. o Ensures that H/P, orders for the procedure, and consent form are consistent prior to placing in medical chart. * Prepares and administers medications in accordance with current practice (i.e. review physician orders, pre-op antibiotics, preparing/labeling medications on/off field, utilizing the 7 medication rights, identifying high alert medications, conducting independent double checks when indicated, and narcotic waste, etc.). Assures only licensed personnel administer medications. * Relays appropriate hand off communication to PACU staff to ensure continuity of care. * Performs nurse circulator duties as assigned. * Participates in the anesthesia time-out process if performed in the pre-op area prior to administration of pre-operative blocks or prior to the induction of anesthesia. * Takes responsibility for careful and accurate handling and/or logging of narcotics, biohazardous materials, and surgical specimens. * Assures all members of the surgical team comply with principles of surgical hand asepsis, aseptic, and sterile technique.
_General Clinical Duties that apply to all areas:_
- Takes responsibility for careful and accurate handling and/or logging of narcotics.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients and stretchers to prevent injury to patient and self.
- Complies with principles of hand hygiene, aseptic and sterile technique.
- Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance and cleanliness of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
- Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials.
- Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets.
- Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center’s goals and objectives.
- Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
- Takes personal initiative to maintain current RN licensure, BCLS, ACLS, and PALS (if indicated) and other professional certifications current as defined by job role.
- Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices.
- Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings, and participates in emergency drills.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees.
- Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of records and patient information at all times.
- Practices and adheres to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”.
- While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical developments).
Age Specific Care: * The patient care requirements may include those of pediatric, child and adolescent when such patient populations are served, as well as adult and geriatric.
BEHAVIORAL SPECIFIC EXPECTATIONS: · Supports and adheres to all company and Center policies and procedures. · Supports and adheres to HCA Code of Conduct, related Ethics and Compliance policies, and HIPAA requirements.· Supports and adheres to personnel policies and programs which specify privileges and responsibilities of employment, including compliance with an adverse incident reporting system, quality improvement program, patient safety initiatives, and risk management program. · Participates in Best Practices, Quality/Risk Initiatives, RCA’s and other teams to improve patient care. · Interacts with patients, fellow employees, physicians, and other stakeholders in a manner which encourages quality patient care, harmonious working relationships, positive customer relations, and which enhances the image and reputation of the center. · Demonstrates dependability and accountability. · Ability to encourage teamwork and promote a positive work environment. · Demonstrates a willingness to help others. · Supports the center’s mission by providing flexibility in assignment changes, dependability in attendance, punctuality, timely completion of assignments. · Maintains a professional image through proper attire, language, and conduct. · Keeps management informed of any malfunctions in instruments, equipment, and supplies. · Displays willingness to speak up about safety issues or change practices to enhance safety; asks for help when needed; enhances teamwork; follows the safety standards/practices/policies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong task coordination and supervisory skills.
- Ability to delegate, coach, mentor and handle conflict resolution.
- Demonstrates attention to detail by ensuring that all documentation is legible, complete, accurate, and factual.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, systems and objectives.
- Maintains advance knowledge of advances in peri-operative field of nursing.
- Has knowledge of patient rights and strives to improve patient outcomes by respecting each patient’s cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values.
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory, compliance, and accreditation standards and requirements.
- Possesses critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrates a willingness to listen to others and openly expresses respect for differing opinions.
- Demonstrates leadership, effective organizing, and planning skills.
- Effective problem solving skills to include data analysis and judgment to make effective decisions.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- High Impact Communication - Effective oral and written communication skills
- Computer Skills – Knowledge and basic use of computer skills.
- Maintains high level of confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to build trust and gain respect through effective team leadership and participation skills.
*EDUCATION: * * Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing.
EXPERIENCE:· Minimum 2 years experience in an Operating Room setting; preferably in an ambulatory surgery center.
· Two year supervisor experience.
· Additional specialty experience may be required as per facility practices(i.e. Pediatric, GI, etc)
CERTIFICATION/LICENSE:· Active RN license as required by state of employment. · Required valid BCLS Certification upon employment.** **online certification not acceptable. · ACLS, PALS and/or other as required for patient care area and by facility.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:· Work hours are variable based on patient care needs. · Ability to sit and stand for prolong periods of time, ability to walk, some bending, stooping and stretching; · Capability for overhead and low reaching activities; · Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, and occasional use of other office equipment; · Requires normal range of hearing/eyesight/voice projection to record, prepare, and communicate appropriately. · Physical strength for equipment needs and patient care activities; may require frequent lifting/moving up to 50 pounds and occasional lifting/moving in excess of 50 pounds; · Ability to move quickly in response to patient needs. · Ability to make constant/frequent judgment/response to problem. · Exposure to noisy equipment. · Subject to varying and unpredictable situations, high stress/pressure, handles emergency or crisis situations, regular interaction with emotional patients and/or family members. · Work may involve exposure to infections, communicable diseases and hazardous materials, and blood and body fluids.
Title: Operating Room Nurse Coordinator
Location: South Carolina-Myrtle Beach-Grand Dunes Surgery Center
Requisition ID: 07817-2331