Google Policy Enforcement and Operations Business Analyst, YouTube in Mountain View, California
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Mountain View, CA, USA; San Bruno, CA, USA
Fast-paced, dynamic and proactive, YouTube Trust and Safety is dedicated to ensuring that YouTube is a place for users, viewers, and creators around the world to belong, create, and express themselves. Whether understanding and solving their online content concerns, navigating within global legal frameworks, or writing and enforcing worldwide policy, the Trust & Safety team is on the frontlines of enhancing the YouTube experience, building internet safety, and protecting free speech in our ever-evolving digital world.
YouTube's growing global prominence and expanding user base provides unique challenges and new responsibilities everyday. The Policy & Legal Operations Analyst team is at the center of the important policy issues that shape the direction of our site and frame our stance on powerful themes like freedom of expression and online safety. Leveraging significant analytical backgrounds, Analysts are visionaries who trailblaze difficult analysis to creatively quantify emerging trends on the site, establishing impact and bringing data to devise and implement solutions collaboratively. We also look to radically improve the state of our global operations through automation, process improvement and new technology. As part of the greater Policy Operations team, Policy Operations Analysts work will focus on policy areas that matter deeply to our users and society.
As part of Policy Operations, Policy and Business Analysts are directly responsible for informing policy development with quantitative insights thereby making the internet safer, protecting free speech and defending our brand. You will play an important role in the success of YouTube through defining the scale and impact of emerging issues to inform policy positions, investigating complex and ambiguous networks of contentious content, isolating common social and technical trends and executing scalable workflows to mitigate the impact that content has on our users. You will work closely with product and engineering to define and implement technical and process-based solutions to emerging product, PR and legal threats.
YouTube has grown into a community used by over 1 billion people across the globe to access information, share video, and shape culture. The YouTube team helps budding creators build careers, creates products like YouTube Kids, YouTube Music, and YouTube Gaming, and engages communities around shared passions and global conversations. Together, we empower the world to create, broadcast, and share.
- Conduct data analysis project work to scope policy issues and quantify their impact.
- Drive analytical deep dives (metric and dashboard development, data prototyping, insights generation and recommendations) on the effectiveness of policies and operations throughout our ecosystem.
- Use data mining and statistical techniques (going beyond traditional business intelligence) to drive key projects like forecasting, etc.
- Liaise with engineering teams to provide solutions to technical problems, and liaise with policy, PR and legal teams to craft solutions to emerging threats using a well thought, methodical, data-driven approach and prioritization
- Untangle ambiguous problems and find the insights that drive operational, policy and product excellence.
- BA degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in an analytical field such as Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Operations research, Economics, etc.
- Experience with analysis tools (SQL, Google Spreadsheets, or other spreadsheet software)
- Data analysis experience in a business context.
- MS or other advanced degree in engineering or technical/scientific field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of relevant experience at a leading management consulting firm or corporate strategy team for a high-growth technology firm (software, Internet and/or media industry).
- Experience writing and maintaining ETLs which operate on a variety of structured and unstructured sources
- Experience with one or more programming languages (Python, Java, C++, etc.) and proficiency in SQL queries.
- Familiarity with Internet policy and regulatory environments.
- Demonstrated success in presenting large data sets in a clear and compelling manner that inspires action.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.