SGS Petroleum Service Corporation Operations Manager - 13289 in Joliet, Illinois
This job was posted by https://illinoisjoblink.illinois.gov : For more information, please see: https://illinoisjoblink.illinois.gov/ada/r/jobs/4981002 SGS Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) is a growing company with a proud tradition of excellence in providing product handling, operations, and logistics support at major oil refineries, chemical plants, and storage terminals in the United States and Canada. We are leaders in tankering barges, operating docks, switching railcars, operating warehouses, and loading and unloading tank cars and tank trucks with a variety of oil products and chemicals. We offer competitive wages, advancement opportunities, and industry-leading training and safety programs. Our excellent benefits package helps employees and their families maintain health, save money, and prepare for the future. At SGS PSC, we are a family-oriented company that fuels integrity, teamwork, and ambition. Our mission is to simply be the best at what we do.
* Build upon SGS PSC's outstanding 60+ year reputation with top tier refiners / petrochemical manufacturers and continue to lead our expansion into the greater Chicago area. The role includes direct responsibility for multiple SGS PSC workgroups at specific plant and bulk storage terminal sites in addition to on-call marine operations at refineries, petrochemical plants and terminals. The overall guiding expectation is that the operations manager will actively engage with site leaders and field employees to ensure that all operations under his or her direction are striving to achieve excellent performance in the areas of safety, environmental and overall job quality. The operations manager will not only perform in accordance with SGS PSC performance standards, but also that of each unique customer location.
Overall Operating Performance
* Ensures systems and processes are in place to drive safety and environmental performance by each workgroup.
* Clearly communicates goals around operating performance and ensures that teams are equipped to meet and exceed those goals
* Has direct participation in safety meetings and overall training initiatives to model appropriate behavior for our site leaders.
* Performs safety observations in the field and routinely visits worksites to build effective relationships with employees and customer
* Reviews safety observation forms completed from each site and identifies trends or areas of concern.
* Ensures that all incidents are investigated and participates directly in significant incidents (i.e. employee injuries, spills, derailments).
* Ensures that training is being conducted in alignment with SGS PSC and customer's best practices including auditing of records and informal participation in employee qualification process.
* Supports site leaders/supervisors with performance problems and help establish effective corrective actions.
* Works closely with supervisor and customer to identify and implement operational efficiencies without compromising safety.
* Ensures positive recognition is occurring for good performance and personally participates in recognition events where possible.
* Note: Operating performance typically will be measured through statistics in recordable injuries, environmental incidents, derailments and significant property damages.
* Provides one-on-one and group coaching to site leaders and second tier leaders through regular visits.
* Actively participates and help lead group leadership development activities such as supervisor meetings, and leadership training conducted with HR.
* Performs annual performance evaluation with each site leader and ensure a similar process is conducted between site leader and field employees.
* Works closely with other operations managers to identify future leaders and creates an individual development plan for these candidates.
Commercial and Business Issues
* Understands pecific contract pay and billing details for each account.
* Identifies high risk activity or situations that leave SGS PSC exposed to employee harm or undesired liability (injury, contamination, reputation).
* Develops win/win solutions to opportunities to maximize value to customer and at the same time contribute to SGS PSC's financial success.
* Recognizes and act appropriately for situations that balance protecting short-term financial impact versus long-term negative business position with a particular customer.
* Identifies and has regular contact with key customer personnel including regular face-to-face interaction.
* Utilizes PSC quarterly report card process to facilitate the ongoing regular dialogue in customer relationship at a particular facility.
* Helps facilitate appropriate customer entertainment, particularly with senior management at key accounts.
New Business Development
* Looks for new business opportunities at existing accounts and work to expand these operations as appropriate.
* Is fully aware of and promotes other SGS services at existing accounts.
* Supports business development efforts with new customer by:
* Identifying new prospects through regular industry contacts.
* Participating in sales calls and introductory meetings.
* Performing walk-through at potential facilities and participate in scope and proposal developmen