WestRock Cutter Operator in Hicksville, New York
About WestRock WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com .
Setup and operate cutter to customer specifications and perform process inspections to ensure quality product. Cut inserts into the required measurement for further production.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Locates flatstock and performs make readies.
• Sets up and operates cutter.
• Adheres to SOP’s and work instructions.
• Makes trays, shippers and box labels as needed.
• Adheres to quality standards
• Performs weekly and monthly maintenance.
• Communicates effectively with pressmen, operators, manufacturers, management, and suppliers.
• Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of machine control panel, air system, movement of back gauge, computer capabilities.
• Understands paperweights and their effect on the cutting knives.
• Operates a paper jogger and paper lifter and stacks neatly in the proper sequence.
• Programs the computer for all required jobs to comply with the job specifications.
• Understands quality criteria and perform all quality inspections.
• Performs knife changes and knife adjustments in addition to required machine maintenance.
• Troubleshoots mechanical difficulties (power shut down, manual recycling of knife).
• May be cross trained in other areas of the plant and perform other duties as assigned.
• Contributes to team effort by exhibiting strong work ethic, problem solving, providing training and demonstrating leadership.
• Contributes to quality investigations when necessary.
• Interprets job ticket information and customer specifications to efficiently set-up and run the cutter.
• Performs other job duties as assigned.
• Two to three years of related experience and/or training preferred
• Must be able to meet and/or pass the minimum requirement on a mechanical test or have demonstrated mechanical aptitude through prior work experience.
• Must have the ability to read and write complex instructions, correspondence and memos.
• Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
• Must have strong mathematical skills
• Must be able to read and communicate effectively in English.
• Must be able to pass a basic reading test.
• Must have basic computer skills.
• Must be capable of maintaining good attendance.
• Must be able to work overtime; significant overtime may be required during busy periods.
• Must be able to perform all essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation.