Army Installation Management Command Postal Operations Assistant in Germersheim, Germany
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
Applications will be reviewed and referred for selection at periodic cutoff dates. The first cutoff date will be 8/25/2017. Further review and selection will take place as positions are available every two weeks thereafter. Management can close the announcement at any time.
About the Position: Must be able to satisfy the requirements of the 26JUL12 DODI 1400.25 V1230, DoD Civilian Personnel Management System: Employment in Foreign Areas and Employee Return Rights. Visit http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/140025v1230.pdf.
This position is located in Kaiserslautern, Germany. Kaiserslautern has developed into the largest US military community outside the United States. The city of Kaiserslautern is nestled in the small hills west of the Rhine River Valley, on the edge of the famous German Pfalz forest. Although the climate is changeable much of the time, the area does enjoy many pleasant days with reasonable temperatures. The winter is short and mild with some snowfall. The summer is generally warm and comfortable, with few hot days. Kaiserslautern has over 100,000 residents and an additional 50,000 personnel associated with the American Armed Forces. For additional information please visit http://www.rp.army.mil/
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Department of Army Civilian Employees Applying to OCONUS Positions
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Excepted Service Overseas Family Member Appointment
- Family Member Preference (FMP) for Overseas Employment
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
- Military Spouse Preference (MSP) for Overseas Employment
- Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentality (NAFI)
- Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
- Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
- Sell postage and money orders, and process mail for dispatch.
- Accountable for and manage a flexible stamp and monetary stock valued from $1000 and up depending on population usage and money orders valued at $100,000.
- Assure proper packing, wrapping, and sealing of letter mail and packages.
- Advise patrons on domestic and international mail regulations, procedures, services, and fees.
- Advise customers of customs procedures and help them prepare appropriate forms for mailing items subject to customs examinations.
- Process and deliver incoming Registered, Certified, Insured, Express, and other various Extra Service articles personally through the window to the addressee/authorized agent and to various organizations and mail rooms designated mail orderlies and mail clerks.
- Inspect outgoing accountable mail for mailability and process for shipment in accordance with DOD Regulatory guidance.
- Conduct various mail handling functions in central mail distribution units of IMCOM-Europe.
- Must load various types of transport vehicles from a small automobile up to a 40 ft trailer safely and properly sequentially loads trailers for multiple stop deliveries.
- Operate a customer service window for package delivery and other oversized articles that will not fit in mail receptacles.
- Operate a step side Van or other similar type vehicles, collecting mail from street side mail collection boxes, buildings, and mail pickup points.
- Process inquiries, provide assistance, prepares reports and file various postal service forms for notification to customers; issues receptacles, combinations, and instructions to personnel authorized Military Postal Service.
- Occasional Travel
- Overnight duty travel is required 5% of the time.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates, VEOA Eligibles, VRA, Military Spouses
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Clearance.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English Language fluently.
- Have to complete the Postal Service Center training within 6 months.
- Must be able to work shifts, weekends, and/or holidays, as needed.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain required driver's licenses.
- Must complete HazMat handling training prior to handling mail.
- Must complete a pre-employment physical examination.
- Must adhere to annual leave restrictions from November-Mid January.
- Must be able to perform overnight business travel up to 5% of the time.
- Held accountable for monetary imbalances when performing finance duties.
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes performing manual and automated processing of incoming and outgoing mail; operating various customer service windows providing a variety of services that include financial transactions; completing administrative reports and controlling accountable items; driving a step side van or similar vehicle involved in postal operation duties. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Computer Skills
- Customer Service
- Eye-Hand Coordination
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent GS-06.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click herefor expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Review our benefits
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- Applicants must comply with the Exceptional Family Member Program requirements as outlined in the DoD Instruction 1315.19.
- U.S. citizens overseas under ordinarily resident status are not eligible for appointment under the Status of Forces Agreement.
- Locality pay does not apply in the overseas area.
- On this overseas accompanied tour, medical and DoDDS special education services may not be available in the immediate location of this position.
- In the overseas areas, access for civilian employees and their families to military medical and dental treatment facilities is on a space-available and reimbursable basis only. Medical care may be provided by host nation providers. The availability and level of care at host nation medical facilities will vary by location. Movement overseas may require you to initiate a change in your health benefits plan to ensure coverage.
- Pay retention may be offered to successful applicants for positions at overseas locations. For this provision to apply to employees already overseas, the selected individual would have to require a permanent change of station move and would have to be selected as a result of a recruitment effort that had been extended outside of the overseas command involved.
- Selectees initially recruited from the United States may receive certain foreign area benefits such as: Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) or government quarters, home leave, etc. (Subject to approval)
- Selectees recruited outside the U.S. will have their eligibility for foreign area benefits determined at the time of hire.
- Overseas allowances may be authorized in accordance with Department of State Standardized Regulation (DSSR) and DoDI 1400.25 volume 1250. http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V1250.pdf
- For positions in a foreign country, that country's laws or international agreements may have a direct impact on the ability of an employee's same sex domestic partner or spouse to accompany the employee and receive certain benefits. If you believe you may be affected by these laws and agreements, you should familiarize yourself with relevant information before applying for or accepting this position.
- This is a Career Program CP - 51 General Administration and Management position.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476680800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2018-08-10
Salary: $31,819 to $41,368 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 6
Series: 0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: EUHU172318116760S
Control number: 476680800