Grainger Sr Manager, Distribution Operations - Fountain Inn, SC in FOUNTAIN INN, South Carolina
Sr Manager, Distribution Operations - Fountain Inn, SC
Apply now »
Start apply with LinkedIn
Start apply with Facebook
Date: Aug 5, 2017
Location: FOUNTAIN INN, SC, US, 29644-9019
Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
Responsible for the inbound or outbound operations of a high volume, order fulfillment, multi-shift distribution center. Administer all functions to ensure timely
accurate product receipt, order fulfillment, and the optimization of resources and processes while operating within budget. Develop and implement processes to ensure compliance with company policies/procedures, continual process improvement and drive employee initiatives to create and promote an environment where team members are involved, empowered, and committed to the success of the Company, thereby negating the need for third party representation.
Provide leadership for large team member populations in non-exempt positions and up to 4 direct reports in exempt positions that both maximize and optimize resources in support of the company’s goals and objectives in serving Grainger customers.
• Design and implement staffing strategies to ensure work force is flexible and can respond to variations in work flow.
• Effectively lead and develop the Process Managers, Supervisors and team members utilizing performance management tools to enhance performance and achieve individual as well as Company goals.
• Ensure that the appropriate SMART goals are set and achieved, (Safety, Quality, Productivity and Positive Employee Relations), through the proper execution of continuous improvement and performance drivers.
• Work closely with team members to communicate and educate on work instructions, policies, procedures and process improvement initiative.
• Ensure their team clearly understands expectations and they are focused, capable, and accountable for being efficient and effective.
• Ensure standardization and sharing of best demonstrated practices with Operations, Distribution Center and as appropriate across the Distribution Center Network.
• Ensure the Company’s physical assets (building, equipment, inventory, etc.) are properly controlled, maintained, protected and utilized. Utilize process improvements to continually improve operational efficiencies (Cost Per Line).
• Accountable for inventory throughput at the Distribution Center serving 100,000+ customers.
• Develop and implement policies and procedures to improve inventory integrity (Inventory Availability and Accuracy), and ensure proper management inventory in excess of $30M.
• Ensure superior customer service to customers (Order Accuracy and UPS Damages) and internal partners by delivering on shipping commitments to customers and continually improving the DC processes.
• Ensure 100% same day shipping regardless of daily variations in business levels.
• Ensure compliance with Company, OSHA, DOT, and EPA regulations with particular emphasis on hazardous materials and power industrial equipment requirements to reduce injuries, property damage and workers compensation cost.
• Implement policies, procedures, and training to reduce work-related injury/illnesses and insure a safe and healthful workplace (OSHA Recordable and LTA Rate).
• Maintain the non-union status of the work force through team member engagement initiatives, recognition programs and ensuring that all team members within their operation are treated fairly, consistently, with respect, and have the tools necessary to perform their jobs. (Turnover).
• In absence of the DC Director, assumes responsibility for day to day operations of the Distribution Center.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Principal Duties and Responsibilities satisfactorily.
• Customer Order Fulfillment $300M up to 1 billion in sales
• Inventory Control $30M up to 125M in inventory
• Sq. Ft. 350K – 1.3M total Sq. Ft. of warehousing
• Orders/day 4K -12,000 customer orders/day
• Direct Reports 20+ team members
• Replenishment- $ shipped/wk. $5M-$20M shipper per week
• Replenishment- $received/wk. $5M-$500M received from suppliers per week.
• Undergraduate degree in business, logistics, material management or a related field of study or equivalent experience with 5 years progressively responsible management experience in a high volume, multi-shift operation dealing with large team member populations.
• Demonstrated ability to directly influence the work environment by creating a dynamic workplace that effects positive team member relationships as well as effective relationships within and across functional boundaries and with suppliers while driving business results.
• Strong interpersonal skills are needed to directly supervise exempt and indirectly supervise non-exempt positions in multi-shift operation.
• Excellent communication skills both written and oral with the ability to communicate effectively across vertical and horizontal lines.
• Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills with the ability to drive results.
• Ability to operate on tight deadlines with multiple priorities that are subject to frequent changes.
• Demonstrated competence in the application and use of operating systems.
• Must be able to interface with a multi-shift operation and physically frequent all areas of offices, Warehouse, and external trailer yards. 60% time in warehouse
environment, 40% office, customer contact, external yard or trailers.
• Position requires occasional travel to other DC’s, Corporate office, and field locations.
• The primary hours for this position will be 3rd shift three days a week and one day flexing to 1st shift
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Segment: Operations Manager, Distribution, Manager, Fulfillment, Operations, Management