IDC Inbound Transportation Operations Manager in Deerfield, Illinois
Manages inbound transportation cost and service, including multi-mode carrier performance into and out of the inbound consolidation center (ICC) as well as Essendant-managed direct supplier loads. Collaborates closely with Essendant supply chain partners to achieve lead time targets, cost savings, and smooth product flows for efficient and timely receiving.
- Manages LTL, TL, and Intermodal daily performance through the regional consolidation center.
- Creates and manages carrier performance metrics and is accountable for meeting service goals into and out of the regional consolidation center.
- Identifies and implements processes with Inventory Management, Operations, and other inbound supply chain stakeholders.
- Proactively identifies potential tactical issues; develops and implements action plans to prevent service issues.
- Manages investment buys as required. Coordinates with Inventory Management, Merchandising, and Operations for timely ship & receipt to meet requirements for supplier rebates with limited network disruption.
- Partners functionally and cross functionally on supplier allowance program negotiations, metrics, and ongoing profitability management.
- Collaborates with consolidation center manager on daily inbound and outbound activity to reduce dwell time and meet carrier cutoff times.
- Manages carrier / supplier on-boarding. Ensures smooth startups with no additional cost or service disruptions.
- Seeks opportunities for carrier “tours” on domestic and global sourcing redistribution.
- Supports Essendant fleet business development. Coordinates with Local and Area Transportation Managers to maximize fleet asset utilization in the network.
- Determines optimal cost and service mode for large LTL vs. TL on shipment level basis.
- Presents transportation programs as needed to supplier representatives, carriers, and internal stakeholders.
- Partners with Transportation Procurement group on carrier procurement projects.
- Meets department savings and budget commitments.
- Manages other people, process, budget, performance management, compliance activities, and associate development as required by the job.
- Understands and demonstrates Essendant’s Core Values and Guiding Actions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Excellent understanding of transportation modes and operations.
- Solid Excel & PowerPoint skills with the ability to interpret and present data and concepts in a concise manner through dashboards and presentations.
- Expert organizational and multitasking skills to manage a high volume, multi modal network.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills to convey issues and opportunities with carriers, suppliers, and internal stakeholders.
- Excellent ability to work well both independently and in a cross functional team environment.
- Solid understanding of finance and mathematics.
- Intermediate knowledge of Hyperion or ability to learn with minimal training.
Bachelors or better
5 years:Transportation Management
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Posted: August 2, 2017