HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Assistant Chief Operating Officer Physician Revenue Cycle in Brentwood, Tennessee
Parallon believes that organizations that continuously learn and improve will thrive. That's why, after more than a decade, Parallon remains dedicated to helping hospitals and hospital systems operate knowledgeably, intelligently, effectively and efficiently in the rapidly evolving healthcare marketplace, today and in the future.
As one of the healthcare industry's leading providers of business and operational services, Parallon is uniquely equipped to provide a broad spectrum of customized services in the areas of revenue cycle, purchasing, supply chain, technology, workforce management and consulting.
Parallon's purpose is simple. We serve and enable those who care for and improve human life in their communities.
_Assistant Chief Operating Officer, Back Office – Physician Revenue Cycle _
JobSummary–The Assistant COO, Physician Revenue Cycle – Back Office, implements the execution of strategy and day-to-day back-office operations for Parallon’s Physician Service Center. This position directly reports to the COO of Parallon’s Physician Service Center. The main Revenue Cycle operation is located in Brentwood, TN.
This position is responsible for the oversight of Revenue Cycle back-office functions at the Urgent Care Physician Service Center (Lewisville, TX) as follows: * Provider Enrollment and Re-Enrollment with Governmental and Commercial Payers * Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), Payer Edits, and Clearinghouse Management for claims, claims status, electronic remittance advices, etc. * Patient Collections Vendor Management (e.g. Patient Statements, Collection Agency, Clearinghouse, and Patient Payment Posting) * Insurance and Patient Collections, including denials and appeals * Inbound patient calls for billing questions, account payments, statement inquiries, etc. * Coordination with HCA Physician Services Central Coding Units * Payment Compliance specific to Urgent Care Service Line (e.g. Regulatory, Sarbanes-Oxley, Internal Controls, and RAC)
The ACOO, Physician Revenue Cycle – Back Office, must possess strategic vision, the ability to plan and implement aggressive execution, prompt decision making ability around resource allocation and prioritization, change management focus, excellent communication skills, strong financial and technological acumen, proven motivational capabilities to a large revenue cycle staff, an executive presence to “O” suite customers, the ability to manage in an executive-level matrix-reporting environment through strong customer service skills, negotiation and conflict resolution, and a demonstrated track record of delivering results and achieving goals.
Supervisor–Direct report to the Chief Operations Officer, Back Office, Physician Revenue Cycle.
Supervises–Responsible for processes within Provider Enrollment, EDI Billing, Insurance Collections, Patient Collections, Denials/Appeals, and Process Improvement as it relates to the revenue cycle center(s) assigned.
- Engage in development and prioritization, through collaboration with and guidance from the Physician Revenue Cycle leadership team, of well- informed strategies and plans of action. Strategies and plans must incorporate a high level of engagement and input from the center’s Senior Executives as a liaison from the HCA Physician Service Group, the Corporate Parallon Business Performance Group, and other corporate stakeholders, including but not limited to, the Payor Contracting and Alignment Group, Physician Services Coding Support Team, Physician Services Accounting/Finance Team, Government Regulatory Support, IT&S, and Human Resources.
- Attend HCA Physician Service Group and Parallon Business Performance Group strategy, planning, and operating review/status meetings. Align and incorporate meeting outcomes into the Physician Revenue Cycle Center operations.
- Engage with lead operational departments in the Urgent Care service line using empirical data such as financial, performance, growth projections, human resources, and customer service metrics to ensure the highest and best use of the resources available as defined by the annual budget.
- Actively participate in Customer Engagement and Relationship Management Plans to ensure internal and external customers have the best interaction possible. Champion these plans at the Urgent Care service center to ensure all levels of the organization are able to view the business from the perspective of the customer. Embrace, utilize, and enhance established processes to track, oversee, organize, and monitor these customer interactions.
- Monitor on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis (1) Accounts Receivable, Net Revenue, and Cash-related data from the financial statements (including the balance sheet and income statement) and (2) Operational Performance Metrics and Reports (including source data from the Practice Management and other bolt-on technologies). Identify and correlate multiple data points with related trends, issues, and underlying root causes. Collaborate with COO Back Office for direction and long-range forecasting and trending.
- Engage in Departmental Monthly Operating reviews and participate in guiding the organization to ensure strong department-level operating standards, measurement and benchmarking systems, and modifications to process, staffing, and technology are completed proactively, timely, and support strong internal controls and results delivery.
- Engage with process of monitoring and guiding adjustment of the organizational structure and underlying infrastructure using data analytics including planning/forecasting, staffing/management ratios, ROI analysis, evolving technology solutions, and corresponding change management approaches to ensure continued scalability as the Physician Revenue Cycle grows.
- Collaborate on joint initiatives and concerns across departmental boundaries (internal service center departments, external departments, and customers). Negotiate, collaborate, and facilitate a shared agenda around the Physician Revenue Cycle to ensure successful outcomes at the Urgent Care service center.
- Participate in communication of the financial, operational, and plan status to the Senior Leadership at HCA Physician Service Group and may attend monthly operational updates at the Physician Service Group and Corporate Parallon Business Performance group.
- Support and engage in the preparation of materials for the CEO to deliver formal communications and presentations regarding Physician Revenue Cycle financial, operational, and strategic plan results to “O” level executives from the Group, Division, Markets, and Hospitals for which the physician clinics are located.
- Drive employee engagement through active support and/or participation on the Urgent Care service center Employee Advisory Group, Monthly Town Hall Meetings, Weekly Leadership and Director/Manager meetings, and Employee Engagement Survey Administration. Be a champion for center-led “employee voice” meetings and resulting implementation plans that are formally tracked and reviewed.
- Engage and champion Leadership Development Programs, in alignment with Parallon corporate initiatives, to ensure sound succession planning.
- Perform quarterly and annual employee performance reviews for direct reports with corresponding development and coaching plans. Establish a leadership culture of accomplishing objectives through others with a drive to meet goals and objectives outlined in strategic plans.
- Stay abreast of technological advances, industry trends, and regulatory changes and provide input for strategic agendas and plans that are updated and maintained accordingly.
- Support the alignment of operating practices, as applicable, with the Parallon Hospital Shared Service Revenue Cycle initiatives.
- Support Parallon’s business initiatives, external to HCA, by preparing plans and supporting growth initiatives.
- Practice and adhere to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”.
- Travel is required (up to 50%) – position is located in Brentwood, TN, but travel will be necessary to Lewisville (Dallas), TX, regularly.
- Other duties as assigned.
- StrategicPlanning– stay abreast of industry, market, and complex regulatory trends, along with the organization’s strengths and weaknesses, and develop and champion long-term strategies based on the company vision and mission; assimilate and incorporate variable factors into business plans, and modify such plans based on changing conditions to ensure long-term sustainability and competitiveness.
- FinancialandAnalytical Capability– perform substantial quantitative financial calculations and/or understand the implications of financial graphs, charges, tables, etc.; integrate and correlate multiple financial data points effectively, allowing for identification of key issues, real-time proactive communication, sound decision-making criteria, and determination of strategies and plans.
- TechnologyAptitude– hold a foundational understanding of existing and new technology; strategically integrate new and existing technologies into the workplace to improve effectiveness and efficiency supported by business plans and return-on-investment analysis.
- DrivingExecution– translate strategic priorities into operational reality; align communications, accountabilities, resource capabilities, internal processes, and ongoing measurement systems to ensure strategic priorities yield measurable and sustainable results; determine key milestones required to implement specific business initiatives; adjust priorities or timelines as circumstances warrant.
- CompellingCommunication– convey oral and written messages logically, succinctly, and at the appropriate pace, capturing and holding others’ attention; does not digress and is in command of the message with the ability to connect with all organizational levels from Executive Leadership to Line-Level staff; ability to present information with minimal to no preparation and successfully state intended point.
- StrategicRelationships– use appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to influence and build effective relationships with business partners (e.g. internal matrix reporting business units/individuals, peers, customers, and vendors); accomplish objectives through other business-unit resources needed to carry out strategic priorities, fostering a teambuilding environment.
- Customer Focus– ensure the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and institution of systems, processes, and procedures; maintain long-term customer relationships, buildingtrustandrespect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations; strong ability to negotiate through conflict and resolve disputes.
- LeadershipDevelopment– share authority and responsibility with others to move decision-making and accountability downward through the organization, enable individuals to stretch their capabilities, and accomplish business-unit strategic priorities. Provide feedback, instruction, and development guidance conducive to helping others excel in their current or future job responsibilities; plan and support the development of individual skills and abilities across the organization.
- Innovationand Flexibility –ability and initiative to challenge conventional practices; pursue ongoing organizational improvement (people, process, and technology); anticipate potential issues and create novel solutions such as evaluation and implementation of “new” technologies, process improvement programs, and organizational changes. Respond quickly to change and easily consider new approaches, ideas, and strategies; remain open-minded and modify opinions on the basis of new factual information; perform a wide variety of tasks and change focus quickly as demands change; manage transitions from task to task effectively; adapt to varying customer needs being mindful of organizationalandoperational implications through strong change management programsandavoidanceof fire-fighting tendency.
- Ethics and Compliance ---Behave ethically and honestly; communicate openly in all directions; balance work-life issues; foster trust in relationships; use and allocate resources effectively and ethically; accept responsibility for own decisions and actions; act consistent with the Code of Conduct; support the Ethics and Compliance Program.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or related field required. Master’s Degree is a plus.
- At least 5-7 years of revenue cycle experience required
- Experience in a leadership role at a medium to large “shared service type” organizations, with physician and/or hospital revenue cycle experience preferred
- Consulting experience in areas of business transformation, shared services, change management, and project management a plus
- Executive-level interpersonal skills with proven ability to work within a complex matrix reporting environment
/PHYSICAL//DEMANDS/WORKING//CONDITIONS//–//Work//is//an//office//environment//with//required travel via commercial//airline,//automobile//or//other//public//transportation.//Some travel is required outside the local area and overnight. Requires some//sitting,//some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a//keyboard,//photocopier,//telephone,//calculator//and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to//record,//prepare//and communicate appropriate reports through talking. Requires a significant degree of walking and standing//for//prolonged//periods//of//time for formal presentations, employee interactions and travel. Requires lifting papers, boxes or// //other//objects//up to (40) pounds occasionally. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset//people.// Flexibility and availability of self and coordinated staffing is required to provide assistance for any/all disaster or//emergency//situations./ / / /OSHA CATEGORY –//The//normal//work//routine//involves//no exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues (although situations// //can//be//imagined or hypothesized under which anyone, anywhere, might encounter potential exposure to body fluids). Persons//who//perform these duties are not called upon as part of their employment to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid,//or//to be potentially exposed in some other way./
Title: Assistant Chief Operating Officer Physician Revenue Cycle
Location: Tennessee-Brentwood-Nashville Physician Service Ce
Requisition ID: 25537-136953