Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Systems Assurance Launch & Operations Engineer (661188) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Systems Assurance Launch & Operations Engineer – Staff Consultant, Systems
Staff position, reporting to the director of Mission Systems Assurance. Responsible for systems assurance support on programs and proposals with specific emphasis in the area of launch and ground operations. Work with the Mission Assurance Manager (MAM) and systems engineering to define, evaluate, analyze, and document launch and ground approach, and manage the mission risk associated with each as an integrated part of the overall program and/or proposal. Work with other system-level engineers to define, document, manage, and verify system-level assurance requirements and mission Concept of Operation (CONOPS) as they relate to the operational success of the mission. Work with MAM’s and proposal managers to support cost and schedule estimates related to operation and launch assurance requirements. Support system and mission trades, related subcontract requirements and other associated deliverables. Lead and/or support Failure Review Boards (FRB)s and other launch or operational anomalies to assess mission risk, identify root-cause, and determine appropriate corrective action.
What you´ll do:
- Work with system-level engineers to define, document, manage, and verify system-level assurance requirements and mission Concept of Operation (CONOPS) as they relate to the launch and operational success of the mission.
- Support proposal activity by providing cost and schedule estimates related to operation and launch assurance requirements.
- Lead and/or support anomaly investigations and/or FRB’s related to launch and operational phases of the program.
- Support the Mission Assurance Manager in analyzing and quantifying mission risk related to launch and mission operations.
- Provide key assurance products, analysis, and risk assessment before-during-after the launch campaign.
- Interface with customers as necessary (in conjunction with the program office) to communicate operational assurance requirement status, products, and risk.
- Interface with program personnel such as designers, customers, suppliers, management, and mission assurance disciplines to provide best-value program solutions.
- Translate customer requirements into internal requirements and procedures through the construction of a launch and/or operational assurance plan(s), based on BPL (Ball Process Libraries) and ISO standards.
- Write and present reports documenting assurance requirements, products, and risk.
- Plan, direct, and review efforts of other system-assurance engineers to support the program requirements while working to cost and schedule constraints.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you´ll need:
- BS degree or higher in Aerospace Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 16 or more years of related experience.
- 5 or more years of continuous, related, progressive experience in the system-level launch/operations area is desired.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance.
- Collaborative working skills with programs, cross-disciplinary teams and with management.
- Expertise/experience with assessing and quantifying mission risk is a plus.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school that is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Systems Assurance Launch & Operations Engineer (661188)
Job ID: 661188
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time