Ukpeagvik Iñupiat Corporation/Bowhead Family of Companies Operations Manager in Barrow, Alaska
Full Time / Part-Time
Barrow Operations Business Manager – UIC Arctic Development Services
The Barrow Operations Business Manager will plan, direct, and coordinate with subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the successful business operations in Barrow, AK which include UIC Qiruk, UIC Car Rentals, UIC Water and Sewer, and UIC
CNG. The Manager will participate daily overseeing business unit needs that include budgeting, sales revenues, operational improvements and implementation of UIC’s values.
Support UIC incident free safety culture and assume personal accountability and responsibility for the safe performance of the job, both for personal safety and that of fellow workers. This includes the proper use of PPE, safety equipment, and adhering to safe
work practices. Take necessary actions to stop or correct unsafe behaviors or conditions. Become familiar with company policies, pertinent standards, work instructions or safe operating procedures. Maintain good attendance and actively participate with a positive
• Responsible for the development and implementation of business unit operational plans.
• Maintains adherence to UIC policies.
• Review financial statements, sales, activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement.
• Actively govern areas needing cost reduction and operational improvement.
• Schedule all co-operations in logical steps and budget time required to meet deadlines.
• Take actions to deal with the results of delays, bad weather, or emergencies.
• Confer with unit supervisory personnel on a daily basis to ensure smooth operations, profitability, and safety.
• Support UIC’s HR and HSET Programs and maintain compliance with laws and regulations.
• Under the leadership and support of general management, prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes, and additions to leases, agreements, MOUs.
• Develop and implement special projects to improve Barrow business units operations.
• Appropriately interact with other UIC Businesses, Contractors, and Clients.
Knowledge and Critical Skills/Expertise:
• Developing procedures, lead in strategic planning, and participating in annual operating budget development.
• Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to form and maintain numerous professional relationships.
• Skills that actively maintain client relationships at multiple levels.
• Strong multi-tasking and time management skills to balance and prioritize work.
• Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources.
• Knowledge of applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
• Knowledge of construction materials, inventory management, basic principles of process technology, quality control, costs of goods sold, and other techniques maximizing business efficiencies.
• Knowledge of marketing strategies, goods and services data management, and teamwork skills to implement improvements.
• Four year Bachelor’s degree. Experience of comparable value may be substituted for the education requirement.
• 4 years related experience required. Preferred 2 years of Business Leadership.
• Experience with construction materials, inventory control, and point of sales.
• Experience in developing new clients, projects and contracts.
• Experience interacting with other business lines, vendors, and contractors.
• Job requires being reliable, responsible, and fulfilling obligations.
• Interacting with senior level management in Alaska Native organizations
• Experience with MS Office suite, including the ability to develop Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations.
• Experience working in Barrow, Alaska in a Multi-Cultural environment.
OSHA 10-Hour Construction Safety Card preferred
A candidate must be able to meet the following non-exclusive requirements:
Meet the UIC Safe Driver Auto Policy & Procedures
Take and pass a pre-employment drug test which may include both UA, saliva and hair testing.
Meet the physical requirements of this position including working in a remote location under arctic conditions. Physical demands to include:
• Use of hands and fingers simultaneously with repetition.
• Ability to lift objects up to 50 lbs.
• Climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching or crawling.
• Pulling or pushing.
• Reach/relocate items above shoulders.
• Ability to distinguish difference in noise levels and work in high noise areas.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to read text on a computer screen and in hard copy, stand or sit, talk, and hear.
• Exposure to moderate levels of noise in a well-lit, well-ventilated and moderately paced environment.
• Occasionally required to carry/lift up to 20 lbs.
• The work environment includes a typical office setting, process facilities, warehouses, and customer service businesses.
• Daily site visits to small business units in an arctic rural Alaska community subject to extreme weather and cold climates.
UIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), persons unable to complete an online application should contact UIC HR for assistance.
All employees must pass Non-DOT pre-employment drug screening and follow all UIC Non-DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing Program guidelines and requirements.
If working on a DOT project, employees must pass a DOT pre-employment drug screening and follow all DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing Program requirements.
Authorized Driver Requirement: Employee must have a valid driver’s license and three (3) year clean driving record. Employee must follow all Authorized Driver Policy and Procedures regarding approved vehicle usage.
UIC considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, family responsibility, marital status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran's status or any other legal
Pursuant to The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act 43 U.S.C. Sec. 1601 et seq., and federal contractual requirements, Ukpeagvik Inupiat Corporation, may legally grant certain preference in employment opportunities to UIC Shareholders and their Descendants.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41