Air National Guard Units (Title 32) Maintenance and Operations Supervisor in Alpena, Michigan
About the Agency
This National Guard position is for a Maintenance and Operations Supervisor, Position Description Number D2103000and is part of the MI Alpena CRTC, National Guard.
This is a Dual-bid announcement with AGR #*17-84.*
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
Maintenance and Operations Supervisor, WS-4701-11
This position is located in the Operations Flight of an Air National Guard (ANG) RED HORSE Squadron. The primary purpose is to provide leadership, comprehensive planning of financial and day-to-day and long-term maintenance and repair programs within the Operations and Engineering Flights in order to ensure sustained reliability of real estate facilities and mission readiness in support of RED HORSE operations. The incumbent plans for, directs, organizes, and exercises control over military members of the Operations and Engineering Flights, Non-Dual Status (NDS) and Dual Status (DS) technicians, civilian, state and contracted work forces. Supervises, directly or indirectly, the following personnel and their functions within the construction and maintenance area: power production; electrical; utilities; heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration; structures; heavy equipment operations; operations work center; engineering; and state maintenance operations. Through the application of management principles interviews applicants, selects employees, and promotes positive working conditions. Determines the types of personnel required to operate and maintain facilities, evaluates employee effectiveness and identifies training needs. The position administers the NGB Energy Management program. Position is not only for the repair and maintenance of the ANG facilities but also for the mission readiness of personnel, equipment, and vehicles. The incumbent works directly with local and state authorities for all Homeland Security issues and with departments of State and County Emergency Management Agencies.
(1) The position (RED HORSE Operations NCOIC) serves as a supervisory position over 3-8 full-time subordinates and 6 operations sections.
(2) Duties include planning and preparing weekly, monthly and projected quarterly work schedules. Work assignments include sequence of operations, deadline considerations, priorities, support coordination, methods and task explanations.
(3) Tailors work parties to the project requirements, details work for work party leaders, explains accepted trade methods, techniques and procedures.
(4) Recommends and participates in the selection of personnel to fill vacancies.
(5) Supervises, directly or indirectly, the following personnel and their functions: Production Control, Power Support Systems Mechanic, Engineering Equipment Operator, Plumber, and Maintenance Mechanic.
(6) Coordinates a large staff of military members to carry out long-range squadron goals and short-range objectives.
(7) Will develop and implement long and short range plans for the maintenance and repair of facilities, roadways, parking areas , utility systems, and Real Property Installed Equipment (RPIE). All plans will be in accordance with governing directives and based on the current and future requirements of the installation.
(8) Plays a pivotal role in maintenance, repair and construction activities.
(9) Prepares for troop training deployments.
(10) Serves in the absence of the base civilengineer and Operations Officer, performing those duties normally performed by that position.
(11) Oversees and directs the formulation, integration and advocacy of organizational financial budgets and provides inputs to support Planning Programming and Budgeting (PPBS) issues.
(12) Performs other duties as assigned.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
U.S. Citizens. Area 1 - Open to current, permanent technicians of the Michigan National Guard. Area 2 - Open to current members of the Michigan National Guard. Area 3 - Open to applicants willing and eligible to join the Michigan National Guard (contact a recruiter).
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- National Guard Membership is required.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Verbiage displayed on your resume or application must contain your own words. You may refer to position descriptions, i.e. the general and specialized experience located within the vacancy announcement, to assist with describing work experiences; however, resumes or applications received in verbatim will not be considered.
In your resume you will need to address the general and specialized experience listed below. Please use as much detail as needed, giving dates (months and years) of the experience, position title and how the experience was gained. This information is needed to determine if you are qualified for the position.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Your Resume must list some experience in each of these areas: Experience or training which demonstrates that the candidate has the ability to organize assignments for subordinates, estimate material and manpower needed for specific jobs; able to explain manuals and work procedures; and to prepare production records, work records and reports. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Your Resume must show at least [ 36 ] months in each of the following areas:Experience or training in complex trade practices in the maintenance and repair of facilities and grounds enough to set work assignments and priorities for lower graded personnel. Experience reading and interpreting complex drawings and sketches, and the experience to develop and prepare sketches from oral and written instructions.In addition to the journeyman level knowledge, experience which demonstrates the ability to plan, direct, and organize work assignments for lower grade personnel. Experience which required the review of work requirements and establish priorities to meet deadlines. Experience that provided knowledge of various lines of work performed by this function. Experience which demonstrates the ability to supervise or the potential to perform such duties as evidenced by the ability to communicate knowledge of general supervisory concepts, and knowledge of shop processes. Experience in adapting existing equipment and techniques to new situations.
No substitution of education allowed for this position.
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Military Grades: * E6 - E7*
Compatible Military Assignments: 3E000 3E0XX 3E2X1 3E2X0 3E4X1 3E473 3E490 3E5X1 3E590 3E6X1?
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
What To Expect Next
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Review our benefits
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476719100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-10 to 2017-09-10
Salary: $31.74 to $37.02 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: WS 11
Series: 4701 Miscellaneous General Maintenance and Operations Work
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: MI-1003526-AF-17-266
Control number: 476719100